Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

How do you feel about...

...parents just walking in? I have a new baby starting in 2 weeks and she has started her transition visits. Lovely mom (the sister of a friend), and darling baby girl. She hasn't done this before, but today she texted me that she was on her way and then when she arrived she knocked once and then walked right in. It took me aback, because no one has ever done that before! At the END of the day if we are playing inside I usually have the big door open (with still the glass door closed) and parents know that they can just come on in when the door is open, but they are still hesitant because it feels weird to them, I guess. It wouldn't occur to me to just walk into someone else's (who wasn't family) house.
    FTR, I DON'T think at all that she was trying to spy, or catch me in the act at all. She just came in happily, and comfortably.
    Anywho, thoughts??

Euphoric !
    My parents are asked to ring the downstairs doorbell and than come on in! I don't have time to run up the stairs and open the door for them and I can't always do that either (when I'm busy attending to the children for example) My husband is home during the day but even when he isn't, it doesn't scare me to have the door open. I ask them to ring the doorbell so that it gives me a heads up in case I'm in the washroom or something but it also allows me to know that someone is in the house. If someone were to ring the doorbell and than I heard them walking around upstairs I would know it's not a parent and I would take the steps to assure we are safe.

If you prefer to answer the door though, tell her now before it goes on too long and becomes kinda awkward would be my advice.

Expansive...
    Or I'll just lock it, lol.

Our daycare space is right at the front door...when you come in and go left there is a living room space that is a dedicated daycare area.

Euphoric !
    Yes, locking it would work too! lol

I will admit though, it does kinda annoy me when they don't ring the bell first. Even though I want them to just come on in, it is still my home and I feel like ringing the bell is showing respect. I don't mind if it's the odd forgotten time but one of the dads NEVER does. He's been here 2 years and I think he just doesn't know that I prefer it LOL. He's the first one here on his child's days so I'm still upstairs anyways and know when they come in. It would feel weird now to tell him so I just let it go haha.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Lou

Starting to feel at home...
    Maybe I'm just being cranky but personally it drives me crazy. While I do have terrific parents this IS my home and I need for there to be a boundary. To me just walking in is a sign of lack of respect. It's different if the parents have been told that they're welcome to just come in but to just do it is something else. I lock my front door for a few reasons but then again we're always on the main level during drop offs and pick ups. I ask the parents to call ahead if they need an early pick up so we can be prepared.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daisy123 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think you need to explicitly state what you want as they may just relaly not see it your way.

All my parents just walk on in at both drop off and pick up. But, my daycare is downstairs and I have no interest in running up over and over again. That said...after last drop off and shortly before first pick-up I have the door locked. Not so much to keep parents out but to keep anyone out! With 5 kids I can't listen for the door and anyone could walk on in wihtout my knowing. Not that I expect that where I live.

I would find it weird to suddenly have a parent walk in...but if she texted she was on her way I don't think she was trying to sneak up on you. She may just feel she is better to walk in and not interupt you or something.

Expansive...
    No, I don't think she was trying to sneak up on me at all. I just think she felt extra comfortable and walked right in. Just caught me off guard!

Shy
    Lee-Bee I love that you say "you need to explicitly state what you want". I am finding that I need to be comfortable reminding parents politely that 'at our house we...'. If I let things go, then I resent it, and I can't expect them to remember everything or be perfect all the time. It's human nature to do what's easy and comfortable, so I have to remind them what I expect. I find it incredibly hard to remind parents though! I'm much better with their children.

Euphoric !
    Some people seem to forget that their child's daycare is still the provider's home.

For myself I tell my parents to just come in. That is only because my daycare is in my basement and I do not want to be running up and down answering the door. I have one family who will knock before coming in. My doorbell doesn't ring downstairs so I wouldn't hear it anyways. The one thing that really annoys me is if I am standing at the bottom of the stairs when the parent comes down and they will go and sit on the couch with their child. Ummmm.....NO. I am standing and meeting you at the entrance to daycare so that you take your child and go home, not get comfy and make yourself at home.

Expansive...
    I don't like it!

Like mickyc, I believe parents should not be making themselves comfortable in MY HOME. My daycare is also in the basement. I have an intercom system where parents buzz me and I open the garage for them. They come in through mud room and bring their child down to the basement. I can't hear the front doorbell from the basement and have no interest in running up and down the stairs ha ha!

I keep front door locked. I like to know when there are people in my house. They don't have to give notice when they are coming but I think using the buzzer system keeps us all safe.