Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Potty Training

Shy

Potty Training

I'm not sure if this is where you would post this, but I'm wondering if you have specific policies regarding potty training.

I have a 3 yo who is just starting and Mom usually just let's him go around naked. That's not okay with me. She sent underwear and pants, but it leaves a big puddle, and dck does not pee on the potty ever for me.

I am asking her to buy soaker pants (thick cloth training pants), but she is reluctant.

Any advice?

Expansive...
    Two consecutive weeks of no accidents at daycare in a pullup, before we can start with underwear.
    Being naked is unacceptable, and accidents all over the floors/furniture is very unhygenic.
    Parents must work on training for at least one consecutive week at home before I will start here.
    Also, the child must be able to tell you they're wet/soiled and willing to try the potty at regular intervals.
    Wearing loose fitting clothes(no buttons/belts) so they can get clothing down independently.
    Find out what motivates the child as a reward, and use it.
    Waffle weave training pants with plastic covers do work, but be prepared for leaking legs too.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I do pretty much the same as ECE mommy, but they need 1 month accident free to go into underwear during wakeful hours. Same thing for naps.

I'm potty training 3 right now.

Gross.

Euphoric !
    I have the same rules as ECE mommy. No underwear until I have approved it and definitely no naked kids running around. Parents don't understand that we cannot devote our full attention to their child's potty training needs and the kids are too busy to even realize they need to go. Most kids are trained at home before daycare. I encourage it here and take them to the bathroom but until they can actually tell me they need to go, and are dry/accident free for 2 weeks then no underwear!!

Shy
    I am fine with cloth training pants. Little guy was away sick last week, so we'll see how next week goes. I am requiring cloth training pants or pull-ups though. I have no problem cleaning him up, and at 3 yrs old, I agree with her that pull-ups would be a step backward. As soon as he has one one he thinks he's free to pee in it. I don't want pee on my furniture though.

*sigh* I still say the hardest thing about doing daycare is training the parents.

Euphoric !
    The problem is parents do things out of order. They put them in pullups too soon and then when potty training doesn't work won't go back to diapers. If they tried underwear for a week and child never made it to the potty once they would go back to diapers and wait again for a month and try again. It should be the same with the pullups. If children are never taught that a pullup is a diaper they will learn to use them properly. We don't pee in our pullup. We do and we go back to diapers. I have had them do underwear and the pullup over them. Also you can get cloth pullon diapers that will serve as underwear during training although unless they are BM trained way too messy to change. Actual cloth diapers that snap or Velcro is another way to go - more expensive for the parent but less for you because there will be no pee to clean off the sofa.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Agreed Playfelt. I am with you.

I am terminating care today though. They booked me and did not show up, again. They have changed jobs, changed hours without letting me know until the night before the new schedule. They have been completely delinquent since the change. (even before really). His first day of the new job (night shift), they were over an hour late and they littlest dkc came in his jammies, none of them had breakfast before coming. Then there has been one more 1 hr late, and 2 no shows with an 'oh, I'm sorry I fell asleep'. And, I'm done. I will not sit here and wait to see if their 4 kids may or may not come. I am buying groceries that are not being used.... ahhh..... anyway. I'm done. I will not book myself for even one more day.

Euphoric !
    Wow, sorry to hear about your troubles with this family! I am sure you will be very happy once they are gone. Good luck filling your spots.

Shy
    I think I will take a break and spend the summer with my kids. I need to take a serious look at my contract and set things up better before I take on another family. This was a complete fail, but it definitely showed me where the holes are in my parent agreement!

Expansive...
    Maybe , maybe not ! Sometimes you just get 'different' families !! Taking the summer off sounds great though !!!