Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Question Help please- termination after cancellation?

OK, I will try and sum it up briefly. But first, to everyone- FOLLOW YOUR GUT!!! I didn't think I wanted this client at the beginning, and now I know why. My gut was soooo right!

Anyway- Nightmare client who was usually late on payment, dropped off whenever they wanted and frequently (1-2 times a week) late for pickup. Last week gave their notification that they were cancelling care as they could not abide by my hours (duh). (Sigh of relief from me). I have the child till the end of the month. However... The mother is now accusing me of leaving her child "Unsupervised". I recently posted about running down to the freezer to get food and she just happened to show up at that time (of course I never knew when they would show up). Not a big deal in my mind, apparently it is (I quote) "too much for her". So I have made myself available to chat yet they have not responded to me at all. I want to terminate now as I do not want to take care of the child for the remaining time. I'm pissed and had enough of the BS. Any suggestions on how and if I can do something? I was thinking of stating something along the lines of "no longer having the trust of the family and therefore I do not feel it appropriate to take XXXX into my care to the end of our contract". Honestly, they have paid for this coming week and I will gladly give it back. I don't want to be nasty and I would like to keep things "above board" but I just don't feel comfortable with this family anymore and hesitate for fear of more issues.

Euphoric !
    I would do as you have said and terminate immediately and return all money. If they don't feel safe having their daughter with you then this is the best course of action and frankly protects you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Personally I would just continue until the end of the contract. You did nothing wrong by running down to your freezer. I would leave the ball in their court and tell them that if they are no longer comfortable leaving their child with you that they are more than welcome to end their contract sooner and let them know you do not expect payment for that time if that is what they choose.

I also suggest including an indirect supervision clause to your contract. State in there that periodically during the day there may be short periods of time in which the child will be left unsupervised (ex. including but not limited to when you go to the washroom, attend to a child's needs in another room, getting supplies from another room/floor of the home). Say that during those times you will ensure the child is safe (all baby gates closed etc). This will cover you in the future.
    Last edited by mickyc; 07-08-2014 at 01:12 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Oh man do I hear you!!! My gut told me the exact same thing and I didn't listen!! I feel for you!!

I am torn on this one....I agree with torontokids, it would be nice to terminate and give money back just to be done with them but than I feel like it shows you did something wrong and feel guilty about it.

I also agree with mickyc though...you did nothing wrong but if they want to terminate care they are more than free to do so.

However, I would still charge them what your contract says. Mine is a month's notice so they would be expected to pay for that month (minus the one week deposit they paid in the beginning).

Yeah, I with all of you! I am so torn with this! But I think leaving it up to the client is wise. Because I know I didn't do anything wrong- But the guilt complex that this is creating is crazy. I greatly dislike confrontation, but especially when it is unfounded. Ah well, I'm speaking to the Dad tonight. Wish me luck!!!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FunnyFarm For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I also suggest including an indirect supervision clause to your contract. State in there that periodically during the day there may be short periods of time in which the child will be left unsupervised (ex. including but not limited to when you go to the washroom, attend to a child's needs in another room, getting supplies from another room/floor of the home). Say that during those times you will ensure the child is safe (all baby gates closed etc). This will cover you in the future.
    Thank you mickyc! I have now added this. *few* Live and learn eh?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FunnyFarm For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    make sure it says "included but not limited to", that way you are covered for ANYTHING you do!

Euphoric !
    Do you actually have it in your contract that the children are supervised 100% of the time in your direct line of vision. In home care it is impossible to do and just as we would do things like run to the freezer or bathroom with our own kids we do it during a daycare day too. Probably bad timing and for sure when doing that lock the door then come up and muddle some excuse about oh we must have been too loud to hear you.

I would probably have things right ready to terminate immediately and at the next wisecrack of the parent say fine, no trust no care - goodbye and hand them the child's things and notice of termination saying any outstanding fees will be available by cheque at the end of the next pay period.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Sounds like she is just trying to cause problems !! I think I would prob just go on caring for the child until you were supposed to . If she wants to leave early then she is making a choice to lose her money . There is nothing wrong with you going to the freezer . I think it would be common sense that there are times when children are unsupervised ! Does she think you take them all in to the bathroom ??
    I say diffuse , I wouldn't take it serious , I would def give her the choice to go and make her understand you are willing , able and open to look after her child , therefore she would be losing money not you !!!
    I think if you return money it looks like she has cause for concern .
    I hope the dad will be more realistic !!!
    Good luck !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Secondtimearound View Post
    I say diffuse , I wouldn't take it serious , I would def give her the choice to go and make her understand you are willing , able and open to look after her child , therefore she would be losing money not you !!!
    I think if you return money it looks like she has cause for concern .
    I hope the dad will be more realistic !!!
    Good luck !!!
    You speak exactly like my hubby Secondtime around! I believe this is the course of action we have agreed on. Just leave it in their hands and not offer anything unless they insist on it.

I love all you people out there! you provide such wonderful support and I appreciate you all.
    Last edited by FunnyFarm; 07-08-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FunnyFarm For This Useful Post: