Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I had enough!

Starting to feel at home...

I had enough!

So I finally terminated a client that drove me crazy for far too long!
    I had this family two years, one girl (3 1/2) one day a week (but she has an older brother that is 5) I had a lot of problems with this family between october and december (bringing her sick, opting to go to the neighbour for care (I don't charge if the kids don't come), not paying full rate (once they picked up a couple hours early, so told me not to let her nap, which is between 1-3pm here, then didnt pick her up until just after 3 anyway, and tried to pay me just $20) anyways I addressed each issue very gently and calmly. Didn't have anymore (big)issues until last week(just minor peeves), when they picked up 10 minutes late (which is afterhours)and I had somewhere I needed to be. at that time dcm says "Oh can you take dcgs brother for the summer?" I said "Summer is next week, and no I can not take him on Wednesdays because with dcg I am full" So she says "well what other day could you take them?" And I said " I don't have any one day that I can agree to take two more kids. My schedule is all over the place with holidays, an new little one starting, and I already have two other older siblings coming sometimes" Keep in mind I am late getting ready to go now grrrr. So she says "okay I will ask my neighbour" and off she goes. Yesterday comes, and no sign of this girl. I wait until 10 (she runs late often, which was another peeve) then I text "Is dcg not coming today?" and the response I get is " you said you didn't have room for both of them, so I found someone else. i wont split them up!What other day do you have that I can bring them both?" This ticked me off!!! I was clear the week before, plus had she asked me a few weeks prior we might have worked some kind of schedule out, on top of that I have a new one starting that I turned down for yesterday. So I thought about it, and then responded back that I understand she needs room for two children now, and I can not accomodate those needs, so I will assume that this is notice, and that her daughter will not be coming anymore" OMG I got texts all day, saying I said I didnt have room, its my fault I was unclear, she will pay me for the day, and then bring the girl if thats what I want(like she doing me a favour!) blah blah blah. After about 20 texts from her all day I reponded back " I don't want to be paid, because it really is not about the money, it was about the disrespect. My business and time was not considered, and because of that another family too. This was not the first issue, but it is that last. I understand juggling kids schedules can be difficult, however I have no interest in resuming care for her" Now I have gotten about a dozen long winded texts saying sorry, please take me back!?! I am not taking her back, it is not worth it for me. But does anyone here think I might be too harsh here?
    I will add that in one text she did say that the "neighbour was taking the kids all summer, unless I told her I had room" really?It sounds to me like she thought I would just become back up for her neighbour , but that should not have been a problem for me? GRRR

Wow...you have been waaaay to patient and accommodating for far too long! At this point I would be blocking her texts. Good riddance. Let's hope she treats her next provider with the respect that they deserve.

Euphoric !
    I just terminated a client who I found to be disrespectable too so I feel for you! We had been texting and I find a convo like we had to be difficult over text so I told her I would call her after work. During our phone call I made the decision to terminate. She wasn't happy but we ended it with a plan for the last 2 weeks of care. I woke up the next morning to a threatening in nature text from her. I decided not to text her anymore because I didn't want to say anything that she could save (not that I would have said anything bad). We ended care immediately and I went to her house to sign all the forms and finalize everything. I told her in person exactly how I felt about her and her attitude towards me. I am so glad I did this! She was going to send her husband and I said no, we had things to discuss!

I don't think you've been harsh at all!! Stand your ground and you will feel so empowered!

Expansive...
    Some people !!! I think you handled it well . I'm not sure why she would assume you were able to accommodate her needs !! I don't get people who are so self absorbed they think everyone else only exists to make their life better !

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Sounds like yet another person that seems to think the world revolves around them, with daycare providers being at the bottom of the barrel. When you stood your ground she realized how important you were, tried to back track and lost. I'm so glad you're not considering taking her back- huge weight lifted off your shoulders!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yes !! She prob did not expect you would term ! Good for you !