Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Need advice for termination letter

Quick back story, I had put a child on probation for aggression. We had lots of unacceptable behaviour: screaming at me, screaming at the other kids, throwing, kicking, hitting, etc, etc, etc. Now the big things were two separate instances. 1) Dcb pushed another dcb to the floor and jumped on his back, ( I was wiping another child's face when this happened and I caught the dcb in mid jump). 2) Dcb hit another dcb in the face with a toy hard enough to case a gushing nose bleed. I had had enough, I had talked to the parents several times about this behaviour, and I handed out a probation notice after the last incident. Mom comes to speak to me today, (twenty minutes AFTER closing), and starts off nicely. When nice didn't get me to revoke the probation, she started crying. When that didn't work, she got angry and started telling me it was the other child's fault for provoking hers, (which he didn't), she accused me of playing favourites to the other children, and then told me that I wasn't structured enough. Then stormed out my door and drove off.

Now obviously she's not welcome here anymore. Did I mention that she blew up at me in front of my own kids? How would you write up an immediate termination notice for this situation?

Shy
    Wow!!! That's is awful that not only are you dealing with the child's poor behaviour but now the Mother too! I would probably write something along the lines of...as a result of our conversation on x date in regards to (child's name) probation at daycare due to aggression towards myself and other children I am formally ending our childcare agreement effective immediately. You could also put the details of the conversation and her behaviour in the letter. I think short and sweet and to the point is the best.
    I don't know what your contract states but if there are any belongings at your house I would arrange to have them either dropped off or have someone else there when they are picked up and have a checklist of what they are taking to have signed.
    You are going to be so better off being done with this family and so will your daycare. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DCMG For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    something along the lines of
    Dear Parent,

Due to the ongoing aggressive behavior of your child towards other children and your reaction on July 4th to my probation notice please accept this letter as your immediate termination notice.

Then you can say that the balance of ____ is due by __________ (if any money is due) and that your year end receipts along with any of your child's belongings in my possession will be ready for you to pick up when payment is received in full. In the event payment is not made by _____________ I will be forced to take your outstanding balance to Small Claim's Court.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

DCMG gave some great advice. Nothing more to add to it, except to say I'm sorry you had to deal with such a family. Sounds like a nightmare. This scenario is something we have all gone through, or will at some point. Sounds like the mother is worse than the child! I shudder at the thought.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks all! Short and sweet sounds good to me. Thankfully, there is no money owed, she did pay me before she chewed me out. lol. They have some diapers and wipes here, so I think I will put everything together and then give her everything at once so I can be done with this. I've already started advertising the spot!

Outgoing
    Oh... and the best one: Mom says to me "XXX never does this at home or on our play dates" . If I had less self control I would have rolled my eyes right then.

Expansive...
    Good riddance!!

Euphoric !
    One of the reasons I wrote into my contract that I could release if I had had enough of the parent and it didn't just have to be about a child. Have used this after getting notice from a family who then decided to make my life hell for the last three weeks of care and got termed at the end of week 1 for being late, rude, child not having proper stuff for the day etc.

Provider will give at least three weeks written notice should she wish to change or terminate the contract. The provider reserves the right to terminate without notice for breach of the terms and conditions of this contract or if, in the provider’s opinion, the continuation of the child or parent as part of the daycare group is detrimental to the well-being of the other children in care.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Good riddance!!
    What a great idea. Although I've never had to deal with that situation where a parent is being nasty/abusive after been given notice, it definitely would be a godsend to have that as part of my contract just in case.

Outgoing
    Ugh... they emailed me a novel. And they attacked me professionally. Apparently I'm unprofessional and can't do my job because I can't handle a two year old, (their words). They also went on to say they know it has nothing to do with them because they know they are great parents. I will be so glad when this is completely over.