Have any of you had a prospective client show up for an interview without their child? Maybe it's more common than I think?

I've never had it happen before, and then had an interview last night with mom and dad, but the daughter was at her grandparents. Now today I emailed back and forth a few times with another prospective client who initially wanted to come today during daycare hours with the baby (13 months), and when I said I only interview after closing so I can give the clients my full attention, mom said she would come alone tomorrow evening.

I suppose it's a bit more plausible when the baby is young, and perhaps still has quite an early bedtime, but I just think it's very strange - wouldn't you want a prospective daycare provider to meet your children? See how the provider interacts with your child??

I would never accept a child without meeting them first - anyone have a good way of putting that? If the clients from last night want to come here, I need to insist on a second meeting with the child, without sounding too harsh. Any suggestions?