Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Interviews without the Child?

Have any of you had a prospective client show up for an interview without their child? Maybe it's more common than I think?

I've never had it happen before, and then had an interview last night with mom and dad, but the daughter was at her grandparents. Now today I emailed back and forth a few times with another prospective client who initially wanted to come today during daycare hours with the baby (13 months), and when I said I only interview after closing so I can give the clients my full attention, mom said she would come alone tomorrow evening.

I suppose it's a bit more plausible when the baby is young, and perhaps still has quite an early bedtime, but I just think it's very strange - wouldn't you want a prospective daycare provider to meet your children? See how the provider interacts with your child??

I would never accept a child without meeting them first - anyone have a good way of putting that? If the clients from last night want to come here, I need to insist on a second meeting with the child, without sounding too harsh. Any suggestions?

Starting to feel at home...
    I actually had an interview a few nights ago where only the Mom came. I told her I won't accept any child without meeting the whole family first. She fully agreed with me and stated she does a pre-screening without children and would like another visit so I can meet the family. I'm actually ok with it. This way (because their schedule is busy) she can narrow down her choice by one or two, come with family and make a decision. It also allows me a chance to make a decision too after meeting everyone. They also fully understand "first come, first served".

Euphoric !
    I have always met with a parent and the child except for one. It worked out just fine. Single mom was moving to the City and was in for an interview and to look at rental suites and let her daughter with grandma. Worked out fine and I have had her for 2.5 years already.

You can't always tell from that one meeting how the child will be. I had a meeting with one family and the girl threw an absolute tantrum when they were leaving. I did accept her into care and she was fine (knew she couldn't get away with it from me), I had her for 2 years and her younger sister eventually for 6 months until mom decided to quit her job and stay home. Another interview I had with a great family and the boy was so wonderful and polite. He was one of my most difficult children. I had him for a year and was so happy when he left.

Its always a gamble with every family and child. If the child is able to come I would prefer it and ask the parent if there is a time that would better suit them and their child as you do prefer the child comes to the initial meeting. If it is a matter of the child not being available to come then I would just meet with the parent(s). I have often just met with the mother and not the dad until afterwards. I don't have a problem with it either way.

Euphoric !
    You can't always tell from that one meeting how the child will be. I had a meeting with one family and the girl threw an absolute tantrum when they were leaving. I did accept her into care and she was fine (knew she couldn't get away with it from me), I had her for 2 years and her younger sister eventually for 6 months until mom decided to quit her job and stay home. Another interview I had with a great family and the boy was so wonderful and polite. He was one of my most difficult children. I had him for a year and was so happy when he left.

------------------------------
    I don't have enough time to let families do a pre-screening with me before bringing the dad and child...my time is valuable too and I have many interviews as well.

I want the child here so I can see how the parents and child interact with each other. Does the parent attempt to discipline in an effective manner (I get they respond differently when in public but you can get a sense of how things are by watching).

My first interview is more or less all about picking up a good vibe, watching how they all interact, how do they interact with me etc. We discuss general day to day daycare policies etc...but do not go into the policy manual until second interview.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If it is a requirement that you meet the child then tell the parents so. I only do one meeting and everything is discussed at that point. I also interview out of daycare hours. I couldn't be bothered meeting with the family twice. Like I said, it is hard to really know how it will turn out in the end. I do prefer to meet the child but it doesn't matter to me if I meet both parents or not. The one mom I met with that didn't have her daughter with her turned out great so it can work.

Expansive...
    I like to do one meeting as well !! I def like to meet the child but make my decision based more on the parents lol ! Kids will act up , but I like to see if parents go along with my contracts or the way I like things done rather than trying to change things to how they want it !

Euphoric !
    I am also a one meeting only person! Definitely don't have the time (or want) to do it twice lol. We do most of our communication via email first. I send them my contract because if they aren't going to follow it, like my policies or be able to afford me than there is no point in meeting in person and wasting everyone's time. Than I meet with them, most of the time during daycare hours and we go from there. I like to meet the child so I can see how they interact with the parent, how they interact with me and my current group of children and so the parent can see how I interact with their child and with the group. I have met with 3 mom's and no child and 2 of them didn't work out...but because of the parent, not the child!! LOL.

If it's something you prefer to do, just tell the family. It's not unusual and I can't see why any parent would be upset over it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: