Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Euphoric !
    Glad to hear it's been working well! I find parents are more willing to keep their child home when they can if they get a discount. I still have parents keep their child home and pay full price though if they didn't give me 2 weeks notice.

Starting to feel at home...
    Is the idea to have the kids stay home with their parents when they are off on holiday for a week, etc? I know most would still send their child to dc because they pay for the spot so that they get some down time/alone time to do whatever they want. I know for me, I would be keeping my daughter home with me if I was off because to me that is the point (spend time with her) but everyone is different. My best friend pulls her daughter out for July and August just to be with her and pays for her space during that time.

Euphoric !
    Yes I have found that most people think that they are paying for the spot so they need to send their child no matter what. I also like to go on outings on occasion and found that sometimes I didn't get notice from parents that their kids would be away and next thing I know I only have 1 kid and we missed the opportunity to plan and do something fun (I don't supply car seats!). The other thing is if it is during summer time or during Christmas break it is nice to be given the option of closing. If I know that I will only have 1 child on Christmas eve I will give parents notice that I am closing that day instead (I ask for everyone's summer schedule by May 15 and everyone's Christmas schedule by Nov 15th)

For me personally I agree with you in that if I took holidays it would be to spend time with my family but I have found out that a lot of people are not like that. They feel as though they aren't getting their money's worth if they aren't sending their child when paying for it. Giving them the reduced fee makes them feel like they are getting a deal. I think of it as they are paying for my time still but not for the food as I won't have them to feed. I am firm though - if I don't get 1 month's notice then no deal.

As for families who want the full summer off - I have one right now that takes July/Aug off. I don't make her pay for those 2 months provided I can fill the spot. I have a school age child (sibling to one of the daycare kids) who usually takes the spot every year. They know though that if for some reason the spot isn't filled for those 2 months that they have to pay my holiday rate ($25 a day) for summer.
    Last edited by mickyc; 07-10-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Gotcha! Would it be wrong to not offer a reduced rate and expect full fee when the parent is on holidays whether they want to send their child or not? Right now, that's what I am going with since I am only planning on having 2-3 families. I won't be charging for my sick days or vacation time. I just don't know well enough if the families would still send their child even with the reduced rate, so why take the financial hit when we take so many as is! Again, what do I know, I am just learning )

Euphoric !
    Nope not wrong at all!! I don't know many that offer the discount actually.

I just offer it because it's nice to have a lighter load every once in awhile. I charge $10 less and this covers the food and art supplies I'm not supplying to their child. It's small enough of a fee that I can afford and big enough of a discount that parents feel they are getting a deal. It was also my way of attracting clients when I was first starting out

Good to know - I'll keep that in mind in the event I need to revise my ad in order to attract clients in case I get no hits with my current one! I think one thing, I would need to consider (if I have to revise) is my hours. I live far enough outside the city that we all commute. I just don't want to burn myself out working more than 10hrs! Contracted hours or open/close hours? Thoughts?

Euphoric !
    Definitely don't offer it off the start but if you find parents are sending their child all the time and never keeping them home (to give you a much needed break) then something to think about. I had one family who sent their child every day of the year unless they were sick - never ever took holidays (or if they did they never kept the child home).

For myself I see the benefit of the contracted hours but I am open at 7:30 and close at 5. For the most part most of my families drop off shortly after 7:30 and pick up at 4:45-4:50.

Thanks mickyc and 5LM!!!!