Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Inquiries from clients looking to secure a spot a year in advance?

Hey!
    I am opening my daycare and looking for 2 kiddies for October and 1 for January. I just need some guidance as I am a newbie! I have received some interest (yay!) but one is looking to secure a spot for April 2015. That is almost an entire year away, and I just don't know what will be happening at that point. I could be full, I may not be. What is your experience with something like this? I haven't replied back yet so hoping to get some guidance and direction from those who are seasoned

Euphoric !
    No way. Only if they pay a deposit AND pay for you to keep a space empty for them until April (which is just stupid). Who looks for care 10months in advance? They won't even know what type of care they need in 10months. For all they know they will have moved, or a parent will have been laid off, or their child will need a nanny due to xyz.

Tell them to check back with you in January/February to see if you will have a space available and if you will then interview them then...don't waste your time now.

Well said. Thanks Lee-Bee!

One more thing: do you think it would be smart to advertise for my Jan space now? or should I just focus on securing October kiddies?

Euphoric !
    Just tell the family that they can be added to your waiting list for April unless they are willing to pay for the spot now.

Advertise for all spots now. If you find someone who is wanting a spot in January then book them but they must give you a deposit and it is not refundable - so if they decide to go elsewhere between now and then you get to keep the deposit they paid. Maybe offer the family who wants a spot in April the spot on January? They would have to take it in January though and pay full rate until they need it in April.

Do not EVER hold a spot for anyone unless they are going to pay full rate for it.

Euphoric !
    Advertise for all the spots now with the starting dates. If a parent wants it, they pay starting then. If they want on a waiting list, take all info down and meet with them closer to the start date of the open space.

Good luck!

I appreciate the reply! I am still working on putting together a contract and handbook which outlines all this stuff. Overwhelming! Is there a certain amount requested for a deposit? I am sure it varies provider to provier, but in general?

Euphoric !
    I require a one week deposit to "hold" the spot until the starting date. Once they start, it is than used towards the last 4 weeks in my care. If they find care between now and the starting date, they forfeit that deposit

Thanks! I'll be back with more questions any other tips on getting started...let me know!

Euphoric !
    My only thing I really regret is taking part time. I'm a private home daycare and restricted in my numbers. When a part time child leaves, it is very difficult to find another that fits the exact schedule of the one leaving.

So my number 1 tip to new dc providers is to charge for the space, not the days the child is there!