Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vent !!

Expansive...

Vent !!

Ahhhh!! This is the only place I can vent and have people not think I am crazy (hopefully).

I had a dad pick up last night and comment how much his son was starting to babble/repeat etc. It's something I have been noticing in this 18 month old the last month and have been writing in their report. I agree with the dad and say it's great.

Dad says "It's amazing what some time with his parents did." ((They were off last week with their child.)

I was a little taken aback by the comment but I just smiled. WTH? I have not noticed him talking any more than usual or saying anything new since he was gone and I read and sing with the children constantly and talk to them whereas they took him off to a vacation and to kid parks....nothing educational.

I felt like saying "This is how he has been the last few weeks - maybe you just haven't spent the time with him to notice and this was the first chance you had to realize it???" :P

I am all for parent time and think kids need their parents as much as possible but it felt like he was insinuating that they did more with him or made some miraculous breakthrough and I just leave him to play all day and haven't gotten him talking.

To top it all off - I have one of my school age DCKs back for the summer. I made her favourite food today (Roast chicken, corn and rice with gravy) thinking she would be thrilled. She LOVED that meal at daycare for the 3 years she was here and she looks at it today and announces "I don't like that" without even taking a bite.
    Even worse, then the other kids at the table heard her say that and suddenly decided that they didn't like it even though it is a pretty regular daycare meal on rotation that they all love usually.

Thank God it is almost the weekend.

Euphoric !
    Heck if one week at home has that result they should both quit work and stay home. Their kid will surpass genius status by 24months. -sarcasim, eye roll

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    LOL. Oh yes it amazes me how parents think sometimes!

I always love it when they come in and say "child is potty trained" after a weekend. Ya right LOL.

Don't worry about it too much. You know the real truth! lol let them feel good about their time off with their child - at least they actually took time off with him!

OH yes gotta love having the big kids at daycare. I have an almost 8 year old for summer. Some of the things she says makes me shake my head. I am constantly reminding her that what she is saying or doing is not appropriate for daycare around little ones.

Expansive...
    Oh PLEASE...that's just ridiculous. I have to agree that it's probably the fact he was spending more time with his child he finally NOTICED the milestones he was going through but to think the child miraculously made so much progress while on vac is just so ridiculous...it's making my head hurt. I hate indirect comments...you have something to say? Say it. Gah!

Euphoric !
    I'm thinking he meant no harm or to offend you. Some parents feel extremely guilty for having to work and have dc raise their child. Try not to take it personally!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I agree with 5 lm ! Prob just them noticing his speech !! I sympathize with you though ! I don't think parents understand ( some any way ) just how much influence the dcprovider contributes into raising their child !!
    The comment should of been , " on our week with dcb we noticed his speech is really coming along !! We are a good team teaching him !!"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I'm thinking he meant no harm or to offend you. Some parents feel extremely guilty for having to work and have dc raise their child. Try not to take it personally!
    Oh yes ! That was the exact thought that made me bite my tongue and not show that I was offended.

I work really hard and long days prepping and programming and interacting with each child so I was a bit miffed that he was insinuating that he was the one getting the child to talk more just based on parental time for 7 days vs the 6 months I have already put in for 11 hours a day with their child.... but there was a voice that came to my head reminding me that parents often just feel guilty and having them think it is 'their' accomplishment or influence that made the difference might be easing his guilt.

It just undermined all my efforts - and it was hard not to feel a little jab in my pride

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Totally understandable!! My first reaction would be to be offended as well!

If it was a constant comment made than for sure I'd be miffed and would feel the need to "toot my own horn" lol. If it's occasional, I'd chalk it up to guilt!

Starting to feel at home...
    Spixie33...coming from a parent, I offer apologies. I know for a fact that I didn't realize some of ther words my daughter said until her dc provider told me. dcd was probably so excited it didn't even cross his mind that he inadvertantly took the credit.

As for the food...kids are so fickle. I would have loved that meal! Sounds like those kiddos eat great at your place