Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Expansive...
    I thought it wasn't supposed to be back until September??

Euphoric !
    Second reading will start on Monday so best to check in if you can or read the hansard report each night. Sounds like they are railroading this through and it may happen sooner than later. For those filling spaces into the Fall I am curious on the timeline for sure.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Lou

Euphoric !
    So not impressed. It was one of my families that sent me a text this afternoon asking about it that brought it to my attention first.

It's already at second reading?

Crap. Am I correct that with the new rules (if they stay as presented) an unlicensed home daycare can hire a second adult and can have double the children? I don't particularly want 10 kids but it would be the only way I can keep my current crew of 5 kids aged 14-19 months. I don't want to lose this group (sure there are days I'd love to lose one or two of them lol, but I love this group).

Anyways, I am about to start interview for an ECE helper to work half days come August. But I may have to change my game plan and hire them full time and increase my number of children...not that it will be easy to fine a handful of kids over age 2. I shall do the math and see how many I need to take one to cover the cost of a second staff member.

Anyone know what the earliest possible time frame for this to come into effect is? My oldest dck won't turn 2 until mid-November.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    So not impressed. It was one of my families that sent me a text this afternoon asking about it that brought it to my attention first.

It's already at second reading?

Crap. Am I correct that with the new rules (if they stay as presented) an unlicensed home daycare can hire a second adult and can have double the children? I don't particularly want 10 kids but it would be the only way I can keep my current crew of 5 kids aged 14-19 months. I don't want to lose this group (sure there are days I'd love to lose one or two of them lol, but I love this group).

Anyways, I am about to start interview for an ECE helper to work half days come August. But I may have to change my game plan and hire them full time and increase my number of children...not that it will be easy to fine a handful of kids over age 2. I shall do the math and see how many I need to take one to cover the cost of a second staff member.

Anyone know what the earliest possible time frame for this to come into effect is? My oldest dck won't turn 2 until mid-November.
    Before election the proposal was that with a second adult dcproviders could have up to 12 kids including their own (with 4 kids under 2yo), but ONLY if you were working for a licensed agency. This option was not available for unlicensed hdc. I was following close this section of the rule since I currently have an assistant and I think I could manage. I don't know if this has changed after the election, though.

Euphoric !
    I think everyone should consider a 'day of action'. This is what's being proposed by a number of people and I think it's a good idea. A few have poo pooed the idea of striking for a day, but really, the letters are just not going to cut it. They've got our letters....thousands of them. And still, here's the bill, back again. From what I've heard, this will be more of a forewarned strike (but I could be wrong) which will find as many providers as possible at Queen's Park for the day. I, for one, am fully on board with this. I know my clients would understand. This would make us undeniably visible and really drive the point home of how many of us there really are. In addition, we would absolutely have media coverage...the press would be all over that. Some are even suggesting having the option of families who rely on us in attendance too. Personally, I think it's brilliant and I don't see many other options. Like or not ladies, we are not considered professionals and are not taken seriously. It might be time to stand up and force them to take notice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I am so confused and stressing over this whole thing. What I am really concerned about is this:
    if we run an unlicenced home daycare, do we still have the option to stay unlicenced and follow the new rules ? Or will we have to join an agency ?

Euphoric !
    We can still remain unlicensed and follow the new rules. My concern is that with this new bill, it kind of reinforces the image that's been painted of us by the government and media. I'm not content to continue to be considered anything but a professional. We are not even recognized as contributing members of this profession, when in actuality, we're holding the whole shebang together. I'm extremely angry about how the government and media have damaged our reputations because of a few bad seeds and a job very poorly done by the government itself! I'm also angry about the sneak attack by the Liberals on me, my colleagues and my profession, both in December and today. In case anyone didn't notice (as I certainly didn't), Bill 143 is now Bill 10 and was pushed quietly through (some might say it was sneaky) first reading this week. We are viable, valuable and it's about damned time we stood up for ourselves in a way that overrides public apathy.

Euphoric !
    Damn. Why don't they just change the way they license in this province. I have NOTHING against being licensed EXCEPT that I CANNOT run my daycare on the minimal fees I would be making if licensed. If I could still charge my families the same fees I charge now then fine, I'll license.

Basically to keep my current crew I'd have to get licensed, hire a staff member, get 12 kids... AND would still be making the same amount I make now because my pay would be cut drastically and I'd have to pay another staff.

How does it help my kids here to double my numbers?

I can't even just quit home daycare and go back to teaching as my own child is 16months old and there'd be nowhere for her to go as she'd be one of the thousands of under 2 children that are suddenly without care.

All I can hope is that they push this through and CHAOS hits when half the working population doesn't go to work due to lack of childcare.

My families are smart...they know they are going to be in trouble when this goes through...I can only sound calm and cheery about it for so long...but it does seem that at some point I have to 'fire' 3 of my families and HUGELY up my daily fees. They are already asking...they have been telling me they love it here and wouldn't 'tell on me' if I illegally keep all their kids. Isn't it great when you have lawyers and highly educated professionals telling you that!

Who needs a 'day of action' there will be a much better impact when this is played out and to province shuts down due to lack of staff everywhere.

Euphoric !
    LeeBee, I believe it's a huge mistake to let this go through without a day of action. We do, in fact, stand to gain from a day of action as, for one, it will get our voices heard. We've had little media coverage for our side of the issue. The media would absolutely be present at a major protest....ALL of the media. We need this. We've sent our letters and spent countless hour whining about it online. Now it's time to stand up and be heard. Personally, I'd prefer it not go through as it is at all. Wouldn't it be much better to do everything we can to get some changes BEFORE it's a law? This is not just for you, or for me, but for the entire profession. Personally, I'm not sure how this is going to affect me. My kids are grown, so I'll likely just crank my rates up by $10-$15/day and carry on. But I care about this profession....it matters and I'm sick of everyone just sloughing us off like we're a bunch of unprofessional, dime a dozen, lazy, stay at home mothers. We're all in this for different reasons and they're all important to us. It's up to us to defend what we have built and our place in the community/profession. A defeatist attitude isn't going to be productive at all...that's just conceding to their bullying tactics. I, for one, am not keen to just lay back and let it happen. I truly hope everyone in this field takes a stand to form a united groupl.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Agreed cfred!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast