Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I just feel that a day of action in our line of work will not pan out as it does when larger corporations strike (even for a day). We are spread out and we cannot reach all home daycares to organize. I think that come the day of action it will just be 'some' providers that close for the day and go where ever.

Media has not been on our side as of yet and while I don't doubt they would be present I don't feel they would be there to support us and spread our word. It would be spun to show we are just taking a day off to protest.

In addition, I can't help that most families will just grumble and be annoyed and further spread the impression we are just taking a day off to protest but not really support, understand and make it clear to their employers why we did a day of action and how the bill would have a huge impact on their workplace.

I don't see a day of action having an impact on this...if our thousands upon thousands of letter have gone ignored then a portion of us protesting in public will just equally go ignored.

All the above said...I really do not have a better idea. The letters haven't worked. There really does not seem to be a way to make them pause and hear us out and to really see the impacts because they have made up their minds and in their minds this truly is the be all and end all of poor quality home daycare and they will come out heroes for saving and protecting the children.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Really, you're arguing against something that has never happened within this industry, so how can you possibly say what the likely outcome is? How can we know if we don't try? It's in the process of being organized now through the Coalition of Independent Childcare Providers of Ontario. We're trying, but if we have to spend this much time convincing other providers to get on board, you're right, it's useless. There are now members in cities across the province. Frankly, I'm damned busy and don't particularly have the time or desire to add even more to my plate, but for the sake of this profession, I will and will head up my city. I will reach out to as many providers as I possibly can, as will my counterparts in other cities and we'll do the best we can to get everyone on board. I'm hopeful that some families will be involved as well. And you're right, the media has been against us. Do you think part of that reason might be lack of a voice? Who's heard our concerns? No one. I've seen a very few articles about the true quality of home daycare and the underlying issues of pitiful government support. This is our chance to be heard. And we won't be taking the day off to go 'wherever'....we'll be taking the day off to go to Queen's Park. This group and process are in their infancy. This is our chance to form something that matters and has a real impact on our profession. If you don't want to participate, then don't. No one's going to make you. But really, just sitting and worrying isn't doing a lick of good. This is a proactive movement and we stand to gain a public voice from it. Isn't even the chance of that worth a bit of effort?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    Really, you're arguing against something that has never happened within this industry, so how can you possibly say what the likely outcome is? How can we know if we don't try? It's in the process of being organized now through the Coalition of Independent Childcare Providers of Ontario. We're trying, but if we have to spend this much time convincing other providers to get on board, you're right, it's useless. There are now members in cities across the province. Frankly, I'm damned busy and don't particularly have the time or desire to add even more to my plate, but for the sake of this profession, I will and will head up my city. I will reach out to as many providers as I possibly can, as will my counterparts in other cities and we'll do the best we can to get everyone on board. I'm hopeful that some families will be involved as well. And you're right, the media has been against us. Do you think part of that reason might be lack of a voice? Who's heard our concerns? No one. I've seen a very few articles about the true quality of home daycare and the underlying issues of pitiful government support. This is our chance to be heard. And we won't be taking the day off to go 'wherever'....we'll be taking the day off to go to Queen's Park. This group and process are in their infancy. This is our chance to form something that matters and has a real impact on our profession. If you don't want to participate, then don't. No one's going to make you. But really, just sitting and worrying isn't doing a lick of good. This is a proactive movement and we stand to gain a public voice from it. Isn't even the chance of that worth a bit of effort?
    I'm right there with you and I'll spread the word in my region too. Who's up for car pooling to Queen's Park?!?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    For the record, the FB page 'The Coalition of Independent Childcare Providers of Ontario' has been up less than 24 hours and already had 124 members as of a couple hours ago. Not too shabby! Let's everyone get on board with this, become a member and really get the ball rolling! It's been made very clear that this will not just be a site for back and forth discussion. Heidi as well as a few others who have spearheaded this project are currently disseminating all the information and will focus on providing facts and a platform to discuss course of action. This is a GOOD THING! We're breaking it up by city with individual groups of the same cause in each area. Anyone in the Newmarket/Aurora area, feel free to contact me as I'm taking on this area and trying to get people involved and organized (god help you all, lol!)...although I'll probably try to contact you first

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    I'm right there with you and I'll spread the word in my region too. Who's up for car pooling to Queen's Park?!?
    THIS is exactly what we want to see!!! If everyone joins in, we might actually have a shot....and how nice to stand together

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I just joined the group, there are now 130 members. I think that if a day of protest is going to happen it needs to be soon. The government seems hellbent on passing this bill quickly!

Euphoric !
    Yes, I absolutely agree! I'll be spending my planned 'Weekend of no Commitments' with my boyfriend online, contacting providers. Oh well...we can laze about another time.

Starting to feel at home...
    Soooo essentially if the Bill is passed then private day homes would be required to become licensed?
    Are they looking to change the child:age ratios are anything like that?
    Is there any other way that we would be affect? (Sorry, I have looked and I can't find any definitive answer on this).

I 100% agree with not wanting to pay the agency a cut of your pay. That was one of the big reasons why I decided to leave other than the the fact that I would have to terminate one of my families due to my children counting in the ratios once #2 was born. Other than that though, I loved my agency. They were always super helpful and provided me with whatever I needed.

Outgoing
    I live in pickering the durham region. All non essential staff including daycare worker were on strike for about two weeks. They got media attention and the dispute was ratified. I believe a day of action will show the government how "essential" our services are for the ontario economy.

Outgoing
    No, you will not have to become licensed. They are just trying to make it more appealing to becoming licensed by allowing you to have 6 kids instead of the five.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Teagansmom For This Useful Post: