Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

To license or not to license?

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know everyone's opinions on licensing their DC. Do you recommend on licensing and why? From what I understand if you license a daycare it just means that you get a business # and that you can have more DCC under your care? Is this correct or am wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    Reham

You don't need a license to get a business #. Currently you can have up to 5 dc kids plus your own if you have an unlicensed daycare. If you work for a licensed agency you can only have 5 kids, including your own (they will not count in the numbers if they are over 6yo)

I joined an agency during my first year and then I went unlicensed. I don't recommend joining an agency, since there is nothing you can't do by yourself and they take a big percentage of your income.

Shy
    Perfect! Thank you so much! I am unlicensed and private DC and have been for the 2 years that I have been doing this. Just wanted to know if it was beneficial for me if I were to license it. I guess Im good the way I am

Shy
    Is registering your DC and licensing your DC the same thing?

You cannot register or get a license for your hdc in Ontario. You can only join a licensed agency or go unlicensed.

Expansive...
    I am private dayhome as well , in Ab we can have 6 children as well as our own . I was told I could register my dayhome but haven't so far .

I am in Alberta and I think the only benefit to license is that you can offer subsidy and the agency handles fee collection and forms. they also find kids for you.

our agencies only take 2-3%

Euphoric !
    In Ontario, agencies take 25%-30%, which is why most of us don't bother with them. Seems a bit steep to me.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have heard that once the children reach 10, you do not have to count them (like if they are here in the summer during school closures) I am in Ontario, is this correct. Someone stated it was once they were 6. Also, you don't have to count your own children, but what about if you are helping our your children with grandchildren, anyone know if you have to count them