Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lice!

Starting to feel at home...

Lice!

Well the title says it all...a daycare child has been found with lice

I got a phone call at lunch today saying that the dcg was found with knits and live lice in her hair today at home. They assume that it came from here, however, I have hopes that it did not.

This dcg was here last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. But before that she was off for 11 days. I am HOPING that she contracted them during her vacation and they did not start to hatch until this weekend. The eggs take anywhere between 7-11 days to hatch.

I checked all other children today, including my own, and thus far, no signs of eggs, and no live ones for sure. But I sent out a mass email explaining the situation and asking everyone to treat their children regardless, just in case.

The family plans on treating the dcg today and sending her back for care on Wednesday, as that is what the pharmacist had said. However, is she is the only one infected, I would rather her stay home the 2 days that she is suppose to be here to ensure that she is clear. Is that to much to ask?

Has anyone else had lice go through the daycare? What did you do? Any tips?

Now excuse me while I go scratch my head.....

That last part was a joke....

Euphoric !
    It has never been through my daycare yet! Hoping it stays that way. I personally think that a child should be home until both treatments are done and they are sure no other family members have it. I think I am going to change my sick policy actually to reflect that!

Starting to feel at home...
    What a coincidence! My sister just messaged me that 4 of her own kids have it. Not fun!!! Check dcg when she returns. If there is any sign of even eggs, send her home. If it were me I'd treat my own family with tea tree oil in their shampoo as a preventative, wash all bedding etc in hot water and possibly even go so far as to bag up stuffies in garbage bags and toss them in the freezer. My dcd had it a couple of years ago- not fun. Problem is that even if your dcg had mostly eggs, the adult lice had to have been present too somewhere in there. It's been in the house unfortunately.
    Last edited by Daisy123; 07-14-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Euphoric !
    I would tell them to keep her home while they clean their house meaning they need to do a thorough clean of all bedding, couches, stuffed animals, clothing/towels she touched, etc as well as the hair treatments. If it is only for two days of care then don't let her bring the issue to daycare since there is a more than probable chance it was never in your daycare so why start now.