Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Email pre-screen questions

So, I got my first email from a mom saying she was interested in meeting me. I am opening for October.

I haven't replied back - what kind of questions should I reply back with in terms of pre-screening? After we have exchanged our questions, would it be in best practice to send her my policy handbook to review in detail and then set up a time to meet? I have some basic policies on my website (sickness, etc) but my vacation, closures etc are not listed. I figure if she agrees with what I have in place she will still be interested.

Advice? I would like to keep my interview style on the casual side.
    Cheers

Expansive...
    Hi!

I also like to keep things very casual...others will offer more detailed advice than me!

I ask pretty basic things like hours/days needed. I always tell people my rates so that I'm not wasting time with someone looking for something cheaper. I also ask if they have backup care(family close by etc.).

Best of luck!

Shy
    I always prefer to speak to them over the phone, it is much more personal and tone can't be misunderstood on the phone. I always ask the basic questions over the phone. Hours, days, where they live (for school zone), what they are looking for from a daycare. I then go over basics, my philosophy, my basic day, how many children I care for, my family (how many kids, married etc.). Then I would set up an in-home interview and after that I email them that same night if I am interested in them as a potential client I email my contract, policies, handbook...all that good stuff. I also always let them know I am also interviewing other families for the spot (even if I am not) and to please let me know if they are interested in the spot so I can choose the best fit for my daycare. This allows me to step back and reflect on the interview to decide if it really is a good fit before I say yes to someone. Good luck.

Thanks! I asked her what hours she needed and if she looked over my website (rates, etc) and how old her son was and when she wanted him to start.

She answered all the basics, and said he was currently enrolled in another daycare but that it was costing too much and the place was inconvenient (should I probe further or is is irrelevant?) My hours are 7-5 and she said she needed 730-5 but 5:15 would be ideal. Do I bend my rule to accommodate? I don't know! I think there is a bit of a language barrier, she's quite francophone and I am not (I live in a highly francophone community) she said she loved my website and although they were looking for Sept care they would be willing to wait until Oct if they found the perfect place.

Here's my thing - she asked how many kids I care for and how many will be in my care in Oct and if my kids are leaving and that's why I have availability. I'm just OPENING I don't advertise that unless they ask....how should I respond? I have years of experience working with children and I am a mommy to a 1 year old (and 35). I know this may be a turn off but hoping it's not such a bad thing! Should I answer back her questions and attach my policies to review or should I see how she feels about me just opening? Sorry for all the q's!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireyesblue View Post
    Thanks! I asked her what hours she needed and if she looked over my website (rates, etc) and how old her son was and when she wanted him to start.

She answered all the basics, and said he was currently enrolled in another daycare but that it was costing too much and the place was inconvenient (should I probe further or is is irrelevant?) My hours are 7-5 and she said she needed 730-5 but 5:15 would be ideal. Do I bend my rule to accommodate? I don't know! I think there is a bit of a language barrier, she's quite francophone and I am not (I live in a highly francophone community) she said she loved my website and although they were looking for Sept care they would be willing to wait until Oct if they found the perfect place.

Here's my thing - she asked how many kids I care for and how many will be in my care in Oct and if my kids are leaving and that's why I have availability. I'm just OPENING I don't advertise that unless they ask....how should I respond? I have years of experience working with children and I am a mommy to a 1 year old (and 35). I know this may be a turn off but hoping it's not such a bad thing! Should I answer back her questions and attach my policies to review or should I see how she feels about me just opening? Sorry for all the q's!
    For some it will be a deal breaker...when I first opened I just told the families (in person not email or phone as they never asked) that I was just coming off Mat leave. If they asked if I had been doing home daycare before mat leave I said they we used to live in a condo and were waiting until we had a place with enough space for home daycare then listed relevant experience.

If they ask in email or on phone you need to answer...typically I tried to avoid letting them ask this before coming in person...so I could win them over with my daycare set up and myself.

I know! I was hoping for the same thing, Lee-Bee that I would be able to sell myself during our in-person meeting, but now I will have to try even harder to sell myself! I suppose I could have emailed back right away saying "sure, let's meet..." without asking her any questions; but I think it was right to ask some questions so I know what I was working with. She asked the right questions though - kudos to her. Lol bad for me I'll just respond truthfully and sincerely and ask if she would still like to meet. Fingers crossed.

Shy
    I would definitely probe further into her leaving her current provider. As far as her asking how many children...could you give general info about the DNA. Like "I will only care for a maximum of 5 children at a time to stay in line with the daycare act. If she will be your only client come Oct then I think you do need to be up front but if you have a few children starting then you could tell her the amount of children you'd have come Oct. Try to talk with her over the phone instead of email. It's easier to get your tone across and have a easy conversation. Good Luck.

Euphoric !
    For myself I just ask the basics over email - days/hours of care needed, child's name and birthdate. I always send a copy of my contract via email. If they aren't willing to follow the rules then don't waste my time. I have a little blurb at the beginning of my contract that gives info about me and my family. I just tell them to review my contract and if they would like to set up a meeting then let me know what time is the best. DO NOT change your hours for this lady unless you want that to be your new hours. If we accommodate every request we will be working 24 hours a day - 7 days a week. Figure out what is important to you as far as your contract and stick to it. When she comes for the interview then ask if she has a positive or negative experience at their previous daycare. Usually that begins the conversation.

K! See, initially, I just was looking for the basics and was planning on sending my contract via email (just like you mickyc) but she caught me off guard when she asked how many were in my care - which are none but come October I am HOPING to have 2+1 (my daughter) do I just say I am opening in October? Keep it simple?

Euphoric !
    Yes I would be honest and just say you are opening in October and then say how many children you are hoping to have in your care (including your own child).