Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Should we stay inside?

I am so torn right now on what to do.

Long story short is my daycare had to be moved upstairs due to basement flooding. This is not ideal by any means but we have made it work over the last month (long road ahead). My yard flooded during the July long weekend and I had to keep the kids in for a whole week until it dried up. Now that the yard is dry we have been back to going out twice a day.

We have been pretty good as far as the mosquito population but suddenly there has been an explosion of them and my Mosquito Magnet and zapper aren't even making a dent (usually work wonderful and hardly ever have to put bug spray on the kids). I have been putting the bug spray on the kids when we go out and it seems to be working well although I hate using it too often.

Now enter a heat wave! Long pants (parents have been sending their kids in) and long sleeves are no longer going to be a good idea. Yesterday I had the pool out in the afternoon for the kids to play in. Guess what - tons of welts all over their little bodies and faces when they arrive this morning. I HATE to stay in because my space is not very big right now and in reality the kids are getting sick of being inside. But I don't want to put them at risk of getting eaten alive either and unless we go in the pool it will likely be pretty hot. One of the things my parents love about my daycare is that we go outside often.

So torn on what I should do!

Euphoric !
    Can you change the time of day and get out for a short bit? First thing in morning or very end of day might be better (no idea what time is best). Is your group old enough to go for a short walk instead of playing outside?

As much as it sucks I think families will understand why you need to stay in. I find on days we stay in it helps to pull something new out to entertain the kids...doesn't need to be much just something novel to refocus them. If needed it might be reason for a movie day...I don't use tv at all in my daycare but it would be times like this that I pull out a laptop and pop on a short video (letting parents know what and why). I think all parents should understand that you have lot of factors against your control at play here and things need to adapt to survive!

Euphoric !
    We came out. Been out for 40 minutes now. Covered in bug spray but it seems to be working.

We usually go out again from 3-5 but we'll see. When we go in the pool all the bug spray washes off so not sure if I will do the pool this afternoon or not. Depending on how hot it is.

Not many choices for inside. 80 percent of my daycare toys and all art supplies are currently in storage.

Expansive...
    That stinks! Is there a park nearby you can visit?

Euphoric !
    Nope going to a park is not an option.

Expansive...
    I say go out , parents must realize you have no control over weather or bugs !! We have started going out allot earlier then waiting until 4:15 to go out again .
    We used to go out 10:30-12:00 then 3-5 but due to hot weather we go out 9:30-12:45 eat outside as well , then after nap have snack then craft before outside .
    I'm sure your dcp know you are doing your best !!

Euphoric !
    I have always had parents who appreciated outside time but appreciate more that I do what is best. I avoid high heat, extreme cold and sadly in the summer, mosquitoes when they are terrible. I live in the same city as Mickyc and I personally will not be taking them out if mosquitoes are like this next week. (I've been on holidays this week so didn't have to worry about it) The kids bug spray does nothing to help and 3 of my 5 welt up so bad!! My legs look horrible after 4 days of camping this week so even for myself, I want to stay in! (If only our stupid city didn't allow buffer zones!!!) We have a fogger and have been spraying peoples yards for a fee and we will be doing ours almost daily when I'm back to work.

It's up to you but I feel that outside time shouldn't come at the cost of the kids comfort zone.