This may seem like a stupid question but what happens when your own children get a major illness, like chicken pox? Do you close the daycare until they are well enough to resume group care?

Aside from some colds we haven't had any big illnesses in my daycare yet (only open 6months). None of the kids in care have had any of the major illnesses yet as they are all under 2yrs (including my daughter).

I have had all parents sign a sick child policy stating when they can and cannot come to daycare so I know when to send the dc kids home. I have closed twice when my daughter was sick enough to just need some recovery time. But...it seems different to close for 5+ days!!

What have you all done for such illnesses? I have the feeling it would come to the daycare from another child (as all the colds seem to) and I would expect to send that child home, send out a notice to the other families and I would like to know if I should give them a heads up to have back up care on hand for if their child gets sick and for if my child gets sick due to the daycare needing to be closed x number of days. Is that a legit plan?

I have 5 kids ages 14-20months I feel like if one gets it there is a very, very good chance they all would have it shortly there after. Which sucks!