Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Just not into it anymore

I have a lot on my plate at the moment and I know stress is a factor but I am just not into this anymore. I feel so impatient and like I am faking every moment with the kids. I do not like them anymore which is hard to admit. I have moments where I think "let's do all kinds of programming and make this a super fun summer" but it just hasn't happened. I feel so depleted.

I sent my eldest to day camp for 2 weeks so she can have some practice being away from me come school starting and hang out with other big kids. She is having a blast. I miss her terribly during the day (it's so hard when they grow up!) but she is having a very good time. I can't help but feel a little jealous of the counselors that they get to have fun with her everyday while I am strapped down with multiple little kids which gets in the way of being able to do some of the things bigger kids like to do. I would just love to close my doors tomorrow morning, and spend the summer with my girls dck free (and of course my mortgage is magically paid right?) Just needed to express how I am feeling.

Euphoric !
    Oh I feel ya! I have my days too. I sent my daughter to daycamp too and can't believe how upbeat and fun the teachers seem. How do they manage to be so happy and keep up that energy with that amount of kids?

I know for myself my main issue is getting my daycare space redone after our flooding and once we get back down there it will be better.

Don't worry about programming! I personally have a full day pretty much of free play for summer and because of my current situation more TV than before. I have tomorrow off for a nice 3 day weekend and I need my break!

Also older kids aren't all that great either! I have a school aged sibling for summer and it itself has issues. Had to send an email to mom about some of the things she talks about that isn't appropriate for little kids.

Expansive...
    I know that feeling. I've gone through phases where I went through everything you described. Faking it, not enjoying it, wanting to do more but no energy to follow through....and wanting to be with MY kids, not everyone else's! I think you and I both have thought seriously about closing before...and although I've decided to do this for another 1-2 years minimum (until youngest dd goes to school) I can't help but feel there are many days when I feel I have one foot out the door and I am so ready for something else and so done with dirty diapers!

Cut yourself some slack! You mentioned in a previous thread how much stress you are under. At this point in time with everything going on, is closing at all an option? I think you mentioned you might be moving out of town anyways? What if you let a client go and downsized?

Outgoing
    I am kind of relieved to see this thread! I have been feeling this way as well! All of my families live close by and honestly it seems like they all have so much time off this summer! It's hard because I can't just say.."hmmm..I am going to take today off!"

I have also been feeling lack-luster about work these days. Have a couple of new young children so my days feel a bit longer. But our days are largely free play aside from circle time here as well.

I have been struggling with the older kids (2.5 and 3 years old) not listening AT ALL. I am exhausted!

It's a hard job and it doesn't help that a lot of people don't recognize that and that we are grossly underpaid.

But I love being here watching my own children grown up and play with their friends so I guess I'll keep doing it for now!

Euphoric !
    I have to admit, too much free play bores me to death and I feel like I'm not doing my job. I charge on the higher end for my city and feel that I need to offer more than free play. HOWEVER, during the summer, I have gotten a lot better about not pressuring myself to have the days filled with planned activities. We spend more time outside and go to the splash/spray parks more often. We have easier (ie. less messy) art inside and keep the messy art and snacks outdoors.

Try to take some pressure off of yourself and do what you need to do to get past this funk. If you can, fill your spaces with older children when the opportunity arises. Make a list of pros and cons of having your hdc. If the cons are longer than the pros than maybe it's time to think of closing up and finding a new career? Nothing wrong with that!! Life is short so spend it doing what you love.

Sending positive vibes your way!!

Shy
    Remember there is more of them to children than there is of you to yours under your care, that for one is why they have more energy I'd say.. I am limiting myself to 5 max including my own so I don't feel overwhelmed ongoing, even then it might be.

I don't know about you guys but it's like the winter was so long and the lack of real consistent good summer weather seems to not be enough to really rebound 100% from the cabin fever. I have 3 little guys who love free play and then one 3 year old and if he isn't listening to me or acting up its always because he is under stimulated. Every single time I have had a group that age or older start acting up it is always because they are bored. I have also had the "best of intentions" with programming but due to a multitude of reasons I've just not got to it.

torontokids...is there a learning resource centre near to you that has a lending library? The one near me has literally hundreds of themed teaching boxes that can be loaned for free as long as you have a membership and that takes a lot of work away from me for planning and brings something new and different into the daycare for me and the kids. That is what I am doing for the next 12months of themes. Everything that you can imagine is available and I just bet there is at least one in Toronto that would have this kind of thing to make life a little easier for you resulting in happier kids in your care.

If you live in the city or a town, try an early years centre. They have fun activities and it gives you a little break. I live in the country so I do all the planning and programming. For the summer, I do less programming. The other day we got the sprinkler out and the kids just had a blast!

how are you right now?