Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

How do you say goodbye?

I'm making a decision over the weekend to term a family I'm having problems with. As many of you have read previous posts about them. The biggest thing is the stress and disrespect, communication issues with the parents and some behavior issues with the child. The child been here everyday for 6-7 months and I feel so sad about terminating!! I feel like I could puke! I interviewed a nice family tonight and a baby would be replacing the current child if I go ahead with this. I have terminated once in the past but it was during a trial period and I had only been with the child a few weeks. I have a child that loves this child leaving, I am connected with him too. How can you not be? I think (?) I'm making a right choice but my sad nervous feelings are holding me back.
    What happens once I give them the notice? I think they will be angry because I don't have much to go on. Do I have a goodbye party for the child? Is it a transition or will they pull the child right away? Any advice or terminating?

I've never really termed anyone, they just usually leave (mat leave, other daycare spot opens, etc) or pull.

BUT, I wouldn't give a good-bye party, the kids will get over it. Yes, you and the dck will miss that child, but the family HAS to go. Just explain to the kids that they had to go to a different place - that's all they need to know.

Give the parents a termination letter in an envelope at drop-off, and at the end of the day (at pick-up) have all the kids stuff at hand (just in case).

My 2cents!

Expansive...
    If you have to terminate then you have too. You need to do what is best for your work environment. I have only terminated one child and it is never easy but this termination was a positive one and I still cared for a younger sibling after. Long story.

I have in the past as a manager had to terminate many employees and it never gets easier. I wouldn't have a party as this might send a message to the parents that your happy to see them go, if you know what I mean. I think that in light of the situation it just wouldn't be a positive move on your part.

Good luck!

Trust me you will feel the weight of the world off your shoulders when your operating as you need to be.

Best of Luck!

How did it go?

FS2011 I'm so sorry you have to terminate. Hardest thing ever. When you know it's wrong, it needs to change. Lucky for you your space is already filled. Good luck

I'm just waiting on the new family and some logistics to fall into place then I will be doing a short face to face with a written letter. I will update on how it went! Thanks all!

Euphoric !
    I don't think I would have a "party" exactly. But maybe a special treat on the kids last day, or a little baggie of toys/treats etc, with a note saying "thanks for being here". It may not have been the perfect arrangement, hence the termination, but then you can end things on a positive note.
    And I think a quick conversation, face-to-face, accompanied by a written notice is the way to go.
    Good luck!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Well after feeling like crapping my pants or puking all day I finally did it! Whew, it's over! Such a relief. It went well, I said my peace and handed the parent a letter. Parent was snarky, cold, kept saying why. But eventually hurried out the door. I'm waiting on more of a response from the spouse or to see if they pull out early. Hard to say! Thanks everyone for the support!

glad it went well for you (so far) They will most likely be there for the rest of the week, but they may not come back after the holiday. Either way, as long as you remain calm and professional they'll have no choice but to follow your lead or look like a-holes.

Congrats, FS. I could use your guts right about now....lol