Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

How do you work in a vacation???

Our family is planning a vacation in Feb or Mar of next year for 10 days (so the daycare would be closed for 8 days) and I'm not sure how to charge for that or if I have to change my fees for that month?? I assumed not but my husband got me worried that it was strange for parents to still pay the full monthly fee even though I'm on vacation. Is it normal to keep the fees the same?

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    I also don't charge is I'm not available (vacation, time off, or sick days), other than stats of course.

Quote Originally Posted by FSD View Post
    I also don't charge is I'm not available (vacation, time off, or sick days), other than stats of course.
    It depends what is stated in your contract . I have
    5 sick days, 15 vacation days , 2 personnal days all paid.
    So I would give patents plenty of notice so they can plan accordingly .
    If it is not in your contract as paid, then you should subtract the days the
    Daycare will be closed from that months fees.

Euphoric !
    My contract states 15 paid personal days plus the time between Christmas and New Years. It is discussed before signing the contract. It also states I will give at leas 4 weeks notice of any time off so they can plan accordingly. I tend to give a lot more than 4weeks notice. We plan to take a trip next Feb as well and I will tell the families sometime in October when we have dates firmed up.

What does your contract state? If your contract doesn't already have holidays covered then you should add it so everyone knows what to expect.

It may also depend on your area as to whether holidays are typically covered, as well as your cliental.

Expansive...
    Depends on the contract. I have 2 weeks paid/2 weeks unpaid. If I have already used up my paid time, I just subtract those days from their fees for that month.

Euphoric !
    What does your contract say? Do you get paid for your holidays?

I don't get paid when I close other than stat days. I adjust all parents pay accordingly

Thanks everyone. I do not have anything specific for paid vacation time in my contract (not currently anyways) but am paid for stats and the Christmas closure. I appreciate the feedback.

Euphoric !
    I would say then that if your contract does not say anything about it that you should not expect payment for the days you are closed.

If you change your contract to get paid holidays I would give 6 months notice before it takes effect. It may cost you a family or two depending on what other providers in your area charge

Euphoric !
    This is a subject that tends to be a bit controversial. I feel that as a business owner, I am definitely entitled to days off but I don't feel that it should be paid for by my clients. I save up for them (or scrimp and save during them!!) lol How many other business owners that are in the service industry like we are, get paid holidays?

I think that because you currently have nothing about paid holidays that you shouldn't expect the parents to pay for it this time. If you want to add that in now, I think you should give them plenty of notice so they have the choice to stay or find another daycare. I don't know what is common in your area but I would think that a few families would likely leave around here if a provider asked for paid holidays.

I have found that it really varies and is a very personal decision for each care provider. I remember when I had my daughter in daycare a few years ago, the monthly fee remained the same even though she was closed for 2 weeks in the summer for her family time. My hubby wasn't overly impressed but I know the work put into caring for children and knew she was worth it. Lol. I feel comfortable adjusting the monthly fee for the time I am away and not charging people for it. I know that if I did change my contract to include some vacation time, I'd likely do one week and as many of you have said, give loads of notice. But again, not currently something I feel the need to do. Thanks again for the feedback!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chenderson For This Useful Post: