Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Water

Euphoric !

Water

Do you all bring cups of water outside for all your kids? I bring my group outside at the end of the day for 45-60min. They have snack with water before going out.

My kids are all young and I limit cups to the table as they quickly become communal cups and get lost in the daycare.

This family in the past has commented that their child (now 14ish months) is thirsty at home in the evenings, that they let him have cups while playing etc. At pick up they would comment how he's thirsty etc...they started sending a water cup in his bag so they can give it in the car on the way home (ideal solution) but that lasted all of 3 days before they stopped sending it. I'll also note that the child still gets numerous large bottles at home (held by the parent) I very quickly phased that out here as the child had zero interest in the bottles and I had zero interest in bribing a child over age 1 (who eats like a champ at the table) to take formula.

So this morning, again, dad commented they were worried how he is so thirsty in the evenings. I again restating how often the cup is offered and told him to keep sending a cup in his bag.

Am I being unreasonable with not letting the child carry a cup around all day? Is it unreasonable to not offer water while outside for one hour (we don't go out if it's really hot)?

I will likely just send another email stating when water/milk is offered and why it is not a free for all of cups around here. Things are different at home with one child versus a group of 5 under age 2.

Euphoric !
    I usually only have cups at the table while inside but outside is different. I bought some cheap sippy cups and put their names on them and take those outside with water in them. This way if they lose them at the parks it's not the good ones the parents send. They are running around outside and it's hot so I like to offer a drink.

I will throw them in my outside bag, add a couple bottle of waters and fill at the park or in backyard. Before coming in I dump the cups so it doesn't leak in my bag and I'm not juggling cups and children!

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I usually only have cups at the table while inside but outside is different. I bought some cheap sippy cups and put their names on them and take those outside with water in them. This way if they lose them at the parks it's not the good ones the parents send. They are running around outside and it's hot so I like to offer a drink.

I will throw them in my outside bag, add a couple bottle of waters and fill at the park or in backyard. Before coming in I dump the cups so it doesn't leak in my bag and I'm not juggling cups and children!
    I pretty much do the same as you 5LM. The kids are not allowed to walk around all day with a sippy cup so indoors we have regular "sip" breaks as my guys are all very young so I understand the communal cup issues. When outside I have them all on a little table and they can come and drink as frequently as they require as long as the sippy is placed back on the table when they go back to playing. If the child is thirsty then they need their water intake increased, theres nothing that can be done about that and its actually a really good thing for them to drink as much water as they can. As a parent I'd be a little frustrated if my child was always thirsty at pick up even with your explanation of the routine. Remind the parents to bring a sippy for the ride home and top him up as often as possible. I don't think the formula or holding a bottle for their child has anything to do with how thirsty he is so I wouldn't connect the two. If he's thirsty he is thirsty.

Euphoric !
    I just question if he is as thirsty as they think. I've offered a sippy cup while outside in the past and he'll take a small sip push it away and want to play. I can't help but feel like they get home and give him a bottle of formula and he is sucking it back since he enjoys the cuddle with mom and hasn't had formula all day.

I have take and toss cups I can bring out to offer. I will offer the water shortly before he is picked up to see if they notice a difference.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I think the parents are being a bit nit-picky, questioning you so much, but I do the same as the above. Cheap sippy cups with cold water outside, but mine have to stay on the step by the door. They can go over and take a drink as often as they want, but they're not to be running around holding it. It eliminates my needing to take them all inside or send my 6 year-old in for water, but still at least stops a lot of the mess.

Euphoric !
    I could be wrong in my thinking but I view formula drinking as hunger and water as thirst. You could be right that he is just wanting that cuddle time with the parent. Either way, I would still offer water outside, especially on the really hot days.

Expansive...

Thumbs up

Each child has a good quality non leaking cup that has their name on it. I put them in a small cooler that has a strap that I can carry. I take them out with me when we go out on hot days. Either the kids ask for water or I offer it regularly, they have to drink it there on the spot or sit and drink. I don't ever allow water to be carried around by the kids either inside or outside as they so easily turn into communal cups. That is one of the necessary differences between life at daycare versus at home.

If it were me I would be taking water outside, but it wouldn't be a free for all. I would also be asking the parents to have water available for their child in the car if they feel they need it and tell them that when it is offered that they only take a small sip. There is only so much you can do!

Euphoric !
    Thanks everyone. I will start bringing water out. seems I am the minority in not bringing water out already! Still not convinced we need it, I don't take them out when we it's super warm, like today when it'll be 30 plus humidity. We are never out for more than an hour as naps and routines with 5 under 20months don't allow it!
    I did send home an email saying I'd retry water outside, that the child didn't show interest in the past. Reminded them to send a cup in his bag so he can drink in car ride home.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    Each child has a good quality non leaking cup that has their name on it. I put them in a small cooler that has a strap that I can carry. I take them out with me when we go out on hot days. Either the kids ask for water or I offer it regularly, they have to drink it there on the spot or sit and drink. I don't ever allow water to be carried around by the kids either inside or outside as they so easily turn into communal cups. That is one of the necessary differences between life at daycare versus at home.

If it were me I would be taking water outside, but it wouldn't be a free for all. I would also be asking the parents to have water available for their child in the car if they feel they need it and tell them that when it is offered that they only take a small sip. There is only so much you can do!
    Sorry, just saw that my previous post has a thumbs down icon at the top - didn't mean to put that!!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Since you're only outside for an hour, just after they had access to water, I don't think you're wrong. Parents are being fussy. Keep track of their wet diapers for a few days, and see what you find. If you have a lot of wet ones, let them know what you found, and that their worries are unfounded.

We're outside most of the morning, mostly in the sun, so I bring water. Everyone has the same straw water bottle every single day, year round (they get it for snacks in winter), so for the most part, everyone knows which one is there's. They aren't allowed to play while carrying it. It's just available, and every so often I'll ask if anyone wants water, and hold it for whomever comes over.