Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Talking Gifts for families from childcare provider

Hi everyone!
    In the past, we've had a parents' night out where I look after the children for a Saturday night. However, as we've grown and began offering infant care, I can't do that anymore. Any suggestions on a good way to say thank you to clients? Thank you in advance!

Euphoric !
    When a family leaves my care I will sometimes do a family gift as opposed to just a gift for their child. This could possibly work for you too as it could be a "family date night" idea?

In the summer I like to give a gift basket filled with sundae toppings....cones, sprinkles, sauces, candy etc and attach a cute tag that says " just add ice cream".

Another one I like to do is a gift basket filled with movie treats...popcorn, gummy candy, chocolate, juice etc and than either buy a movie I know they don't have or give a gift certificate for one or even just a gift certificate to a local place that rents movies.

Euphoric !
    Are you talking about when kids leave or just a general thank you to parents just because.

I don't do any type of thank you to parents. Personally all the crafts, mother's day, father's day stuff we send home is enough. I have cupcakes here for the kids birthday's, buy each child a Christmas gift, had santa come to daycare and sent photos home with the kids and buy a gift when anyone leaves care. I am always buying new toys. I don't see any need to thank clients, I think they would rather I spend money on things that will benefit their child everyday.

Euphoric !
    I took it as a thank you gift to the parents as one of her extra services is coming to an end.

I assume most parents were using this service to go on a date night with their spouse so thought a date night themed gift to the family would be cute.

Expansive...
    I have never even thought of doing that ! I have a family leaving in two weeks ! Maybe I will do that ! Is it weird if you get them something and they don't give you something ? Or maybe I've just had parents not into niceties !!
    All my parents now I started in January and I really like them !! But to be honest the ones that have left I've been happy to see go !!

Euphoric !
    In the beginning, every family gave a gift and so it wasn't weird or awkward. I have had 3 families leave who I knew/was pretty sure wouldn't be giving a gift. One had just gotten a bday gift so I didn't buy another and the other left around Valentine's Day so she got her goody bag as a going away gift. The third was an unexpected termination so I didn't even have time to consider getting a gift.

For the most part I have had parents who give gifts for Christmas, the odd one for my birthday and ECE week and when they leave my care. It's not a necessity but I love giving gifts so I do it.

The date night was something I did at Christmas time for everyone as a general thank you gift. We're a center as opposed to home based, so now that I have 45+ families there's no way I can do it.
    I think I'll just stick with gifts from the children on holidays. Thank you!

Starting to feel at home...
    So funny! As a parent, I buy my daughters daycare teachers Christmas gifts. I would never expect a gift. I am the one thankful for their great service to my daughter.

My daycare runs an occasional evening service by donation to buy something special and pricey for the Centre. Currently we are donating to get one of those mega strollers to make park trips easier.