Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interviews

Interviews

I have been doing interviews for September spaces and I'm amazed at how very different 1 interview can be from another. I have had parents who have asked literally 2 questions, and other families that ask a million. I have felt wonderful after an interview, and judged and uncomfortable after another. I feel like i'm on a crazy rollercoaster some days. Please tell me i'm not alone lol.
    Now, when you have those great interviews where you seem to really get along with the parents and it feels like a good fit, do you go with them right away? Or wait and see how your other interviews go?

Hi Mango, good luck with your interviews and to answer your question, I used to react with emotions like you described after interviews but then I decided I was not going to do that anymore. Each interview is different from the next and I have experienced interviews where I thought the person wasn't interested and then they signed on and were wonderful clients and then of course I had the enthusiastic "we just love you" interview and I never heard from them again. It was too much work emotionally to react and I had enough confidence in my daycare and program not to overthink the interviews and worry.
    Yes, I do usually interview everyone who is interested for the reasons above.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Thank you mimi

Shy
    Absolutely you are not alone. I use to take every no as a rejection and very personal and especially when a family seems great and then never returns. It is a hard balance of being a home care provider and loving children to putting on ournbusiness caps and not thinking with our heart. I do usually have more than one interview for a spot but even if I don't I always tell the families that I have other interviews and if they are interested in the spot to please let me know by the end of the week. It just gives me the opportunity to not feel put on the spot and a few days to reflect on the interview to truly decide if it the best fit. Good luck with your interviews.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DCMG For This Useful Post:

Thank you DCMG You are right...the reflecting period after the interview is so valuable for both myself and the parents.

Starting to feel at home...
    Agreed with everyone. I am currently interviewing for a Sept opening and the variety of families has been crazy. Some barely speak while others chat it up like old friends. So hard to know. It really is a gamble a lot of the time, and I have had the recent experience of having an awesome family but the child just isn't a good fit. Now that has sucked. You're doing great and know that it will all work out.

Outgoing
    I just had an interview. Some of you may remember the mom whose in-laws came in and wanted to see their grandson so mom couldn't make the interview the first time. I heard from the mom a week later and wanted an interview for that day and was 10 minutes, not a big deal. One of the first questions she asked me if I was Christian and then asks me if I would allow her son to pray before eating. Also asks what would happen if she got pregnant, not that she's planning to.:laugh Also the baby slapped mom in the face. Pretty well blew this one off.