Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    One thing I would suggest is to look at some of the other daycares near you - put your postal code into daycarebear or look on kijiji for your area. You want to get a sense of how others are setting things up as that is what parents will be comparing you to. I totally understand the Montessori concept and around here a Montessori preschool is preferred by many parents. However for those that don't understand the philosophy they see things as too minimalistic and simplistic. Make sure that things are mixed or explain your day differently in the sense that if they only have Montessori in the morning and nap all afternoon parents might wonder when they get to play with the toys. Show all that you have but emphasize the access to Montessori approved activities and maybe include a page of info to explain the philosophy in your handout and how you incorporate it into your program. Basically in most areas it is not a draw or a deterrent as parents honestly don't really care. They care about price, location, hours pretty much in that order.

It can take a long time to get started so do hang in there. I would not mention why you have decided to stay home with your child as again that might be deterring families that think oh medical needs = medical appointments = needs time off.

Shy
    Forget the bad fault finding client.. I'd be happy to see the back of ones like that to be honest and less forgiving if they don't pay up on time, that's why I only accept advance payment (I am starting out on home day care from home, but did care away from home in others homes when my son was a baby and at that time I only took payments at the start of the day of care every time, and told them so beforehand so they knew up front, didn't have a problem as a result. I think as long as you are competitively priced to day care centres you'll be attractive as a minder, and definitely as a montessori educator too, my son started in those settings and I think they're the best for younger children to be honest.. Just set up a contract (I posted one that others fed back on) so read that to get an idea, may help you, good luck and don't take any crap from anyone is my advice, get rid instead, never mind them messing you around don't even wait for that to happen. Be firm, not soft and stick to your decisions, otherwise people will take advantage and walk over you as that family sounds like they did or are doing. I'd be proactive and say goodbye rather than wait for them to do so Make you feel better not them in these instances, doesn't sound like they care much about you, and you are a necessity end of the day, I didn't find it easy finding good care for my son apart from Montessori's and the minder he has now when I do mostly 2 nightshifts a week on average in my nursing job.
    Last edited by blackcomb; 08-08-2014 at 12:32 AM.

Try advertising on local bulletin boards. I have had families from this way of advertising and it's usually free.