Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shy
    I won't do care unless they pay in advance or on the day in advance, I don't trust them otherwise and hear too many horror stories like this, no pay no care

They are going on vacation next week and didn't bring you a payment after you texted them. After this week you probably won't see them again. Lesson learned

Starting to feel at home...
    They paid me at pick-up on July 31 and were delaying as they had been waiting for approval for vacation time from their job. So he's gone and not coming pack. All done

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenderson For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Glad to hear they actually paid you.

I have a question though. This is how I read your post - you had a cheque for the month of august. you terminated care for August 8th. you gave their cheque back and they were supposed to pay you for the week in august. they ended up taking holidays for the last week and only ended up paying your drop-in rate for August 1st. WHY is my question? If you gave notice for August 8th why did you not make them pay for August 4-8th? Do you not charge your families when they take holidays?

Personally I would not have let them only pay you for the 1st and would have required payment for the full amount (to August 8th) as that was supposed to be their last day. Why should you be without that money because they left early?

To answer your question mickyc - I accepted the drop-in rate for the one day and did not enforce them paying a full week, because in this particular situation I didn't care to make things harder than they were. As a business person I strive to ensure I am not stepped on, and have learned many lessons from 9 yrs of being self-employed. Truthfully I was trying to make it easy for the family as they were a great family and it was just a situation where things didn't work out. I was also making my life easier as I was done with the crying, so if they were able to take extra time off (when they had expected him to be with me all summer) then in effect I figured they were doing me a favour. Lol. If it was a different family or the situation had been different, then I'm sure my take on it would also be different, but that is the beauty of running your own center. You can make exceptions to the rules right. I'm comfortable with how things turned out as disappointed as I am that this little guy couldn't stay. Such is life.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenderson For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm glad things worked out and I totally understand what you did! I'm like you...I don't allow the parents to walk over me but depending on the relationship, I will be flexible with things that I CHOOSE. I've said it before but I pick my battles! Lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=mickyc;67743]I agree with secondtimearound. send a text tonight saying that payment is due in the morning. If they come with no cheque tell them that they cannot leave their child unless they have payment. I know we all hate chasing money but it sounds to me like they are going to see if they can get away without paying. There is nothing wrong with a reminder email and if they still show up without the money then time to get tough and say sorry no money no care. They are the ones putting you in this position and you need to stand up for yourself.

Next time never exchange a cheque until they have the new one in hand.

Exactly as above.

Expansive...
    Isn't it funny how we will choose to extend ourselves to some people and not others ! Lol I'm forever writing my advice as stick to the contract but will change things up for some families !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    It really all depends on the relationship I have with the family for me. I have had families who really appreciated me and always follow the rules so I don't mind accommodating things for them once in awhile. However, I have had some who thought they were the boss and for those type of clients I find it is MUCH easier to stick to the contract for every. single. thing!! lol
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 09-01-2014 at 10:01 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Lou