Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Alberta regulations

Hi,

Is there anyone here who can point me in the right direction. I need to know what the regulations are in alberta regarding ratios. I know I am limited to 6 children but can this be a mix of any ages or am I restricted in some way. This has never been an issue before as all the children were different ages. Two older children are leaving to go to k/g and I would like to move to all under 3 if possible, does anyone know if I can do this

Outgoing
    You can if you are private. Alberta's laws are lax... You legally can have more than 6, and no ratios need to be followed.

Euphoric !
    Yikes, that is crazy to me!! How/why do the provinces have such different rules?!

Private day homes in Alberta can have 6 plus their own. Approved day home can have a maximum of 6 including your own children. Personally, a total of 6 kids is my maximum that I would have.

I don't think there is age ratios, but I follow the approved day home recommendations, 2 under 2, 3 under 3, 4 under 4.

Does having a private day home mean that you are unlicensed ? And approved is licensed? I agree with 5 Little Monkeys in that it is crazy how every province has such different rules. I'm in BC and from what I understand as an unlicensed home day care I can only have 2 in addition to my own. Then if you are licensed you can have 7 (I think).

Thanks everyone. I am unlicensed so can take 6. My own children are older (9,12,18) so they are gone most of the day anyway. Is there somewhere this is officially written? A prospective dcp would like clarification on ages, and ratios. I have looked everywhere and the only things I can find seem vague and open to interpretation. TIA

If you are with an agency it is no more than 3 under 3, 2 under 2 and 1 under 1 and that includes your kids. If you are private you can do what you want

This is all in the providers ha dbooks and are available online