Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Differeence between a vacation and a leave?

Hey Ladies,

I have a family who has informed me there son won't be here for 5 weeks as they are going on vacation. They want to know how much they will have to pay to hold their spot. By the sounds of it they are expecting a discount of some sort because it is more then your standard 2 weeks of holidays. The child is part time and comes only 2 days a week. In my contract I have it that they pay for their vacation, because they are paying for a spot, whether their child comes or not. Should I give them a deal or make them pay full price if they want the spot? They are a really nice family, who hopefully will be turning into 2 full time positions when the mom finishes mat leave in about 5 months. Thanks for any tips

Make them pay full price. Not your problem that they're taking 5 weeks holidays! This is your job. NO DISCOUNTS!!!!

If it's in your contract, then reinforce the contract.

Agree, stick with contract.
    Give them an inch, they'll take a mile.
    Cheeky Monkey Daycare

Expansive...
    Considering that they are probably getting paid for the vacay time they are getting off then you shouldn't feel too bad asking for your payment for the two days a week.
    Maybe she just wanted you to calculate it out for her what it would be.

when I used daycare - I would also ask the provider what the amount of so and so was rather than me risk over-paying or calculating wrong.

I agree. Full price for the duration.

Euphoric !
    It could also just be that she wants to make sure that you are ok with holding the spaces. For 5 weeks they are only talking about the equivalent of 10 days so not sure that should be a hardship for them.

On the other side of the coin I have given breaks to families on mat leave. For extended leave I have reduced the rate by $5 a day to compensate for no food or craft supplies used but the balance is to pay for the space.

Depending on how hard it is to get kids for daycare in your area if you are counting on the two full time then sometimes treading carefully while still maintaining control can keep the peace or in this case the kids in care. Sometimes the family's past record of vacations, requesting refunds, paying for sick days, on time, length of time in daycare does influence my decision.

Starting to feel at home...
    My contract states that if I am open then parents pay full fee. I use analogies with parents, such as if you go on holidays and you have a mortgage do you tell the bank to give you a discount for the time you are not living in the house, or the same with a car loan do you tell the bank you are not going to pay the loan because you are on holidays and not using the car. I don't think so. Why should my service be any different?
    I have also mentioned to the parents that I will not charge them if they can find someone to fill the space while they are away. The family they send to me has to fit into my daycare, if not then they have to pay.
    This is your business and they need to follow the contract otherwise they will try to get a "deal" a lot more times.

Good luck!!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by JHolkemama View Post
    Hey Ladies,

I have a family who has informed me there son won't be here for 5 weeks as they are going on vacation. They want to know how much they will have to pay to hold their spot. By the sounds of it they are expecting a discount of some sort because it is more then your standard 2 weeks of holidays. The child is part time and comes only 2 days a week. In my contract I have it that they pay for their vacation, because they are paying for a spot, whether their child comes or not. Should I give them a deal or make them pay full price if they want the spot? They are a really nice family, who hopefully will be turning into 2 full time positions when the mom finishes mat leave in about 5 months. Thanks for any tips
    Talk to her openly about it! It's in the contract that they pay whatever they aggreed to the terms of... She may just have thought that she may need to pay extra as there vacation is longer than normal?

Open comminication is key as none of us want surprises. Did she give you proper notice of her vaction? In my contract you must give 2 weeks written notice of
    vacation time otherwise you pay.

Good luck!

Outgoing
    I think full price as well. Purpose it to them, see their reaction, but really, do they expect YOU to suffer because they choose to take 5 weeks at once?
    it is only 2 days per week anyways, maybe they half expect you not to budge, but are just testing the waters so to speak