Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Parents abusing pick up time

I have been a provider for over 20 years now and have only had to deal with consistant late pick ups a handful of times until recently.My closing time is 5pm and I have late fee policies in my contract and don't feel like I should have to remind parents of a policy that they agreed to! I have two parents that are late pretty frequently, one comes at 5:03 pretty much every day and the other is here at 5:30 pretty much every Thursday. She usually calls me ahead of time but still it annoys me! I didnt charge late fees the first couple of times but now that it is becoming a weekly thing I dont know how to start charging. I was thinking about putting a notice up reminding all parents of the closing time and the late policy but have no idea how to word it. Does anyone have an idea of how I can word it so it doesnt sound bitchy?

Expansive...
    Dear Parents,
    Please ensure that children are picked up by 5:00pm at the latest. As of recently, there has been an increase of pick ups past closing time. As per my contract, parents who arrive after 5:00 will be charged $1/minute (or whatever your policy is!) from this day forward.

Short, professional and to the point...no wishy washy!

Outgoing
    Awesome. thank you Lou!

Euphoric !
    This is one thing that really drives me nuts!! I have had this issue on occasion and I just can't understand how parents think it is OK. I added this to my contract:

It usually takes approx. 5 minutes to get your child ready and out the door so please remember I close at 5pm and would appreciate if all parents don’t show up right at 5pm to pick up your child.

I would also increase your late fee. I charge $1 per minute past 5pm. I charge EVERYTIME someone is late even if it is only 3 minutes. I add their late fees onto the next pay. I usually send out an email the night before payday with a breakdown of their fee showing all dates and times late and their total.

I also have in my contract that consistent late pickups can result in termination of care. There is NO WAY I would allow a pickup 30 minutes past my closing time.

Don't worry about sounding bitchy! You need to get tough on your parents and fast. They are not respecting you and with allowing them to pick up late and not pay they aren't taking your contract seriously. If we don't enforce our own contracts who will!! I know it is easier said than done but that is where email is great. If you don't feel comfortable dealing with it face to face then you can deal with it online.

I recently had a new family who was consistently picking up late (the dad). Mom didn't realize it was happening until she got her first email showing the additional charges on their next payday. She apologized the next day. Two day's later dad was late AGAIN. I texted mom at 5:01 asking if someone was coming to pick up the child. I then texted mom back at 5:04 when dad picked up saying child was just picked up. She texted back apologizing again. I then took the opportunity to text back and say that all pickups must be before 5. It hasn't happened since. I had to get tough!

Shy
    Just bear in mind, some jobs finish at 5pm, and if it's too tight with rush hour traffic and pressure on a parent, they may find someone else anyway.

Personally I'd choose one that shuts at 6pm and it's a reason I am doing that too. Some need a bit of flexibility. Many jobs are 9-5.
    Last edited by blackcomb; 08-10-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Euphoric !
    A family who works until 5 should never book with a daycare that closes at 5.

Shy
    Quite right.

Outgoing
    I used to be open till 6 but now that I start at 6 am, I refuse to work 12 hour days. The Mom that is picking up late every Thursday, drops off at 7 am and only works 15 minutes away. Some days she is here by 4:45 so she must finish at 4:30. The other parent that is here at 5 on the nose or a few minutes past is a real estate agent and there have been times when he has arrived at 4:45 but sat in his car until 5 or after. I have cameras so I can see him so the next time he does it I am going to take his child out to him if I have no one else here. My late fees are $1 per minute and $5 extra per day if the child is here more than 10 hours a day.
    Last edited by jodaycare; 08-11-2014 at 05:20 AM.

Euphoric !
    I would definitely be charging your late pick up rate starting ASAP. I would also tell both of them that they need to be there 5 minutes before 5 so that they are out the door at 5. You need to get bitchy by the sounds of it!

Yes definitely - if you see them sitting in the driveway by all means take them outside. Nothing wrong with having all kids ready at 4:45 and going outside to sit on the step to wait for all parents.
    Last edited by mickyc; 08-11-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Starting to feel at home...
    That's a tough one. I might draft up an email too " all parents", but only send it to your offenders.