Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

What age group do you care for?

What ages do you care for, and do you days, nights and weekends.. what do you do?

Just interested to know, not had clients yet but maybe a contract puts people off? Local minders I use don't do one and seem to retain clients and not had any issues except for one parent ages ago one said.

Expansive...
    My current group is aged 2 through 6 years old, though I will take kids from 1 year to 8 years old (though legally can take from 3 months old to 12 years old - though I don't want to at this time). My hours are 7:15 am to 4:45 pm Monday to Friday - is was previously until 5:15 pm but I found the day too long for myself and my daughters. I know there are lots of people looking for late hours and weekends, but that doesn't work for my family as my husband works during the day Monday to Friday.

I wouldn't think having a contract would turn parents off - and those that were turned off you likely wouldn't want anyway. A contract and parent policy handbook protects you and the families and make you more professional. I run a child care business, I am not a babysitter. If families want their children in my program they must agree to and follow my policies.

You probably need to look at your daycare setup (everything from how you have your playroom setup to what kind of programming and policies you will have) and think about what you are going to offer in order to attract clients. There are lots of websites and forums out there that has lots of advice and pictures to use as inspiration.

Starting to feel at home...
    As a parent I appreciate the contract. Like AmandaKDT says, it adds professionalism. It is comforting to have the rules spelled out for all parties and it addresses sticky issues (sick kids, vacations) before they they occur.

As for hours, I wuold match the typical business in your area. If office...do 7am - 5:30 (gives parents enough time to drop off before and pick up after work). If manufacturing..you can look into shift, drop ins, flex time etc. BUT...I counsel you to leave some time for yourself. A burnt out caregiver will end up needing care, not providing it.

Hope this helps

Outgoing
    I only care for children until they go to school. I don't offer before and after school care. So I'll take 10 months upwards until they begin school life. I work Monday - Friday, I don't extend my business hours, I don't offer weekend or evening care.

And I have contracts. No one comes without a signed contract. Contracts are a two way agreement. They spell out what the service provides and when and the expectation on the clients. Most of the time, they aren't needed because my screening process identifies people who aren't a match but life can throw anyone a curveball - and a contract saves you from those times when things are going wrong - constant late collections, late payments, showing up early, clients not understanding that I am closed on stat days etc. If your contract is clear, that instance of issues even if rare, are often avoidable.