Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

They are all pregnant!

Sheesh, what is in the water?! Two of my moms are pregnant and due for February, just lost another due to mat leave that I am trying to fill a spot for the last two months. I'm panicking because it seems to take forever right now to fill these darn spots. While I'm excited for these families for their new addition, knowing I will take on their little ones in a year again. It sucks now!!!! I keep a small group of only two or three children. It makes it so hard when this happens! Ah well.... Life goes on.

Euphoric !
    Luckily you will have plenty of notice and you can start advertising now for those spots. Do you hold spots for the families to return with their babies?

Euphoric !
    I'm interested in knowing about how people go about holding spots. I have only had one mom leave on mat leave and I had offered her the choice to pay the holiday fee for the year to keep her spot or she would have to risk loosing it. In the end, the husband didn't want to pay for a spot for a year when it wasn't needed (which I totally understand) but after I thought about it, I realized her paying to keep the spot wouldn't have helped her completely either. It would have left her with one spot when she really needs two. I have two 3 year olds who will possibly be going to preschool next year but I have 2 mom's that are returning to work next year and both want a spot but between them I will need 3 spots open.

How do you ensure that when the mom's mat leave is over you will have a spot available for the 2nd child?

I don't promise a spot. They may choose to pay a withdraw fee 50% of the regular wages or risk no spot available. But it nice to know you may pick up a good client again. However I am seriously considering closing when my daughter goes to school next year. Perhaps find something part time during school hours. Maybe.... I don't know.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyFarm View Post
    I keep a small group of only two or three children. It makes it so hard when this happens! Ah well.... Life goes on.
    That's your life-line.

You can look for replacements for the two pregnant ones now and know you've got several months of pregnancy to find suitable replacements. If they need to start before your current children leave, then with you just having a small group, you can accommodate this requirement so that's awesome.

I usually operate at capacity. A few years back, two of my moms fell pregnant and were due within a month of each other. That was really tough as I knew I wouldn't have a place for the first born baby meaning that mom would be forced to leave as no one wants to split their children between two carers. It did however free up a place for the second born baby.

I'm lucky in the sense my tend to stay in FT for the duration of their mom's pregnancy. Partly because I don't take PT'ers. Since I can't take the financial loss of a child dropping days and can't leave their days sitting empty to guarantee them those days to return to, here it's a choice of staying FT and hoping that I have a place for the baby nearer the time or leaving entirely and seeking two places somewhere else at the end of mat leave.

One idea which does spring to mind if you take both part-time and full-time places...if your expectant Moms are hoping to drop to part-time, would they consider sharing a FT place between them? I know that means their children wouldn't ever be present on the same day and they are likely friends but it does mean that one of their places becomes fully available for a new FT client whilst another is fully occupied.

Euphoric !
    So you charge 50% of your fee for the year on mat leave but no guarantee they will get a spot for the new baby? Do people actually pay?

For myself I had a part-time girl (3 days a week) and when mom when on mat leave she remained here 3 days a week. I knew I was going to have a spot opening in sept the following year (baby would be 10 months at that point). The mom took the spot and began paying in sept, decided to start sending baby then too before she went to work. She stayed 8 months and then ended up leaving to be a stay at home mom. I was happy and took the opportunity to get rid of part-time spots!

I had another mom who gave up her spot for the year. I always kept her in the loop when spots came available. When the part-time kids left I called this mom and she was so happy that I had 2 spots she could take and they left the other daycare they were at and came back.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Ah, I didn't make myself clear. They can either guarantee a spot by paying 50% or just pull out and not pay. Taking the chance I won't have a spot. Sorry for the confusion.

Euphoric !
    So if they pay half the fee, they are guaranteed one spot but what about a spot for the new child? How do you ensure you will have a spot for him/her? I have had a few parents who have their children in different dc's but like Rachael said, most don't like that.

Earlier this year I had 3 mom's leave on Mat. leave. ugh. I'm still playing catch up in trying to fill my spots.

Euphoric !
    Ugh, that would be rough other mummy!! Hope you fill them fast!