Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Frustrating! Am I being unfair??

.................... ........
    Last edited by babydom; 10-07-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Shy
    I would be frustrated too! Could you put this child in a separate room to nap? I would also have a conversation with the parents that you need notice for early pick up so you can arrange to have their child awake and ready. Ask them to be respectful of the other children that need the proper nap time.

Expansive...
    I don't mind the occasional pick up during quiet time, but if it was a regular thing that affected the nap time of the other kids then I would have a problem with it. I would be telling the parents that the pick up is waking the other kids and that is unfair to them. I would ask for them to either pick up before or after the nap time is done. If that didn't work for them, then I would be thinking it was time to terminate their contract.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Hmmm ,frusterating for sure , I would suggest getting a white noise machine , and place her closest to the door . Then they shouldn't wake up and you should be able to scoop her up !!
    I have one and I'm able to go in and out without waking up babies

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree with secondtimearound's suggestion as well. It is frustrating for sure! I understand your POV but like you, I do think parents have the right to pick up when they need too.

When does he get the call and know that he needs to pick up early? Can he text/call you when he knows so that you don't put her down for a nap or can you put her down for a nap somewhere else? Even on the floor in your bedroom? If he doesn't pick up early, can mom pick up or is past your closing time?

Starting to feel at home...
    I would politely remind them of the policy and explain the reasoning. I don't think restricting pick up/drop off time is unreasonable at all. At my daughters d/care, we can drop off until 11 and pick up after 3. The time in the middle is lunch and nap. I always plan around this and totally 'get it'.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SillyGirl_C For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My contract states there are no pick ups between 12 and 3 and that if a parent needs to pick up early they must do so prior to 12 so as respect to the other children's need to rest.

do you still get paid for the whole day? if so i'd say make it work because its one less child to take care of in the afternoon. that being said i fully understand needing that nap time and needing the break. is there any way you could even have her sleep in the hallway? i know it depends on house design but i used to have a cot that i would put in my upstairs hallway and a gate across the stairs for a DCB that way if he was up before the rest he wouldn't wake the whole brood.

Euphoric !
    My contract also says I appreciate all pickups being done before or after nap. I would ask if they could possibly give you notice on the days they are picking up early so that you can put the child in a different room/on the couch to wait for pick up.

Absolutely charge for the whole day!! You need a dependable cash flow and the parent needs a dependable caregiver. If the parent chooses to pick up early, wonderful! So long as it within the bounds of your pick up rules. And I am saying this as a parent.