Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

To claim or not to claim

hey,
    so i know there are many different ways of running a home daycare. i am wondering if anyone know if it is financially better to offer receipts or not. and how much extra you charge if you do offer receipts.

Euphoric !
    Always claim your income! I don't understand why someone wouldn't provide receipts if you are claiming it anyways. Also what parent wouldn't want a receipt to claim on their taxes?

I charge what I charge and it is the same regardless.

well if someone doesn't claim the income they wouldn't give receipts

Euphoric !
    To my knowledge.....it is illegal to not claim income. Even if you classify yourself as a babysitter and not a dcp, it is still income you are to claim.

Parents will want to claim Childcare as well so I imagine it would be hard to find parents who are okay with no receipts. I've only been asked once if they could pay less and not get a receipt. My answer is no. I'm not willing to go to jail lol

Outgoing
    The only reason I can see for not offering receipts, is so you are able to leave that income undeclared i.e. work under the table.

I feel really strongly about this.

Not declaring your income is tax fraud. It is a criminal offence - and not only that - it's beyond selfish.

I am a single parent. I don't get any income other than from my business. I get no child support - nothing. Even so, I declare every single penny I earn because guess what - that's the law! I have no pension, no health care, no chance of ever retiring and I live in a Province that has the highest taxes in the whole country.

Not only are people who work under the table being sneaky and dishonest, but they are gaining benefit from the taxes I pay whilst holding onto their own funds and not contributing equally to tax funded elements of this country. Futhermore, those who happen to be parents too, are artificially lowering their household income on their tax return, which results in a higher payment of child tax credit then they are entitled to as that is means tested.

So, funds straight in pocket with no taxes paid on them, using services which I am funding, and also swiping my tax dollars again for their own family by false claims of entitlement for family credit each month. Lowest of the low.

No different than someone breaking into my house and stealing my possessions - selfish, criminal activity where the rest of us have to pay for consequences. I hope someone who works for CRA finds out and I hope you are audited back the full 7 years and fined steeply.
    Last edited by Rachael; 09-03-2014 at 06:09 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    If you make more than $50 a week and you don't claim it, you are committing tax fraud, as the above poster mentioned, and it is illegal. There may BE "many ways to run a daycare," but there is only one legitimate way, by claiming all your income, all your expenses, and paying the taxes you owe. Sorry, just how it is.

I don't want to be harsh, but it's incredibly frustrating to see so many "babysitters" in my city blatantly stating in their ads that they don't offer receipts, usually because they're already collecting EI and don't want that to disappear once the government knows they're making other money. Again, this is also illegal. They are usually incredibly cheap, they are usually over in numbers (hey, if you're already breaking one law, why not break some more??), and since they can't claim food expenses in their tax deductions, my guess is that they feed their daycare kids as cheaply as possible, which is not always the healthiest.

Providers like this make the rest of us look like money-grabbing totalitarians, with our contracts, higher fees (to reflect things like taxes and expenses) and other rules. If every provider would simply abide by the LAW, our fees would at least all be in the same ballpark for our city and average income, and parents would stop assuming that every provider should offer full-time care for $15 a day!!

Just....no. Claim your income, pay your taxes, and realize all the benefits you get from those tax dollars. You may not always agree with it, but we live in Canada - that's how it is. I don't need to think about yet more people skirting the system to get out of paying taxes, and at the same time stealing clients away from legitimate business-owners who ARE following the rules, even if we don't always agree with them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Thank you all for your input. I fully agree to be claiming and i do. I just recently talked to someone who does it "under the table" and she made it sound so good that I thought i would see what my professional friends had to say. I love the points you all made. Rachael i am a little hurt that you would be cruel and wish such negativity on me when I never EVER stated whether or not i actually claim. please try and think before you criticize someone like that.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by kassiemom View Post
    hey,
    so i know there are many different ways of running a home daycare. i am wondering if anyone know if it is financially better to offer receipts or not. and how much extra you charge if you do offer receipts.... Rachael i am a little hurt that you would be cruel and wish such negativity on me when I never EVER stated whether or not i actually claim. please try and think before you criticize someone like that.
    Oh be honest. Whether or not you actually claim is irrelevant to what I posted. Your original post was very clear in that you were "wondering if anyone knows if it's financially better to offer receipts or not". That means you were at least considering it if you aren't already working under the table.

Typically, those who have been called our on things like this, turn and point the "finger of blame" and pull out the "oh I'm so hurt that you thought this" card.

I really don't care if you were offended or not by my comments. You asked for opinions and you got them. Bottom line, it's lower than the low, selfish, criminal behaviour. And if you aren't going to be honest enough to at least own up to your reasons for posting, and if you need to blame me for being so direct, then so be it. Whatever helps you sleep at night. I do hope you are at least being honest with yourself! Incredible!

EDIT - I can likely predict your next action as one who obviously doesn't own their actions - you'll either edit your original post to reflect yourself in a better light which is why I have quoted you or you will report my comments as offensive with little realization that course of action is for genuinely offensive posts vs ones you don't happen to like. The offensive action in this thread isn't my honest reply!
    Last edited by Rachael; 09-03-2014 at 07:32 AM.

So many advantages to claiming; you can write off soooo many things (Mortgage interest, toys, insurance...on and on....yay!). In the end (after paying my taxes at the end of the year and minus my retirement savings) I still come out way further ahead then when I was working outside the home.
    Rachael: I value this forum as a place where anyone should feel comfortable asking anything. Your harsh response is exactly why many never return and try to fend for themselves and that makes me sad. Just my 2 cents.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    If you read my original comment on this thread, you;ll see that it was factual. The later response was when the OP decided to call me out on my opinion which she'd requested.

Sorry if you feel it's harsh but end of the day, it's a criminal activity which directly costs me more and if being called on criminal actions makes people feel uncomfortable, perhaps they would be better off following the laws rather than getting bent out of shape when people are highly offended.

IF someone came here asking about the benefits of mugging an pensioner at the bank machine after they withdrew their pension, you can bet it wouldn't be the person calling them out on such a disgusting thought who would be focus! SMH

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast