Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Expansive...
    5LM, your posts made me LOL!!!
    I would actually love this challenge in helping him to learn English, I'd be all over it! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Euphoric !
    Lou, cuz you were imagining me yelling at them weren't you!!! LOL I told my fiance about it and he was like "oh god...you didn't!" He's only seen my accents come out, he's never really heard me yell at people who don't speak English haha. It's so bad!

I emailed the family this morning and told them we could do a one month trial period and than after that they can decide if they want to stay or not. If they decide to stay, their one week deposit for their last 4 weeks in care would be required than. Mom had asked about payment so I outlined the next month and a bit in what the payments would be and why. Hopefully they are able to understand it.

Outgoing
    I don't have direct experience as a carer with this but as a child, I've faced this situation.

My father was in the forces when we were kids so at age 2, we lived in Dubai for a while, age 4 we went to Cyprus for a few years and then, once my sister and I were school age, we returned back to the UK to put down roots whilst Dad continued his RAF placements alone.

As a child who lived in two countries were the language was different - it was perfectly fine.

Initially communication will happen from tone, gesture, expression. Thankfully where he's four, this child is able to walk and point if need be. But within a few weeks, he'll understand you as long as you don't speak too quickly and make instructions direct. That's the tricky part initially - weeding out the "fill" words and figuring out the key ones in a sentence. If you can bear that in mind, that will help enormously.

Give it a few months, he'll speak key words and within 6 months, he'll be almost fluent, maybe faster.

Kids pick it languages super fast because they want to participate and want to be included. Adults struggle because they are more considered about what they are getting wrong vs what they are getting right.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yes, I was totally imaging you speaking with an accent and speaking loudly and slowly hahaha. It's funny because I find myself doing that with my inlaws :O (not the accent, but the volume for sure)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    i'd say give it a shot, i know sign language and when people don't speak english i always try to sign to the. yep that doesn't work any better than talking loud!!! lol hahah at least we both try to adapt!!! def the boy will pick up on the language and the parents eventually will too. i think it would be amazing to watch him learn and grow and know you had something to do with that!!! i would maybe try to find time in the day to do one on one ESL lessons with him. and TV is an awesome teacher too!!!lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kassiemom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I haven't heard from them yet today but they do tend to email in the evenings so I'm hoping to hear from them within a couple of days. I'm actually hoping they do say yes because like some of you, I would love the new challenge and it would be awesome to see the little boy's English flourish and know that I had something to do with it. Now, pronouncing his name is going to be a whole 'nother story!! They told it to me like 5 times but I am absolutely horrible at other languages. They said he doesn't have an English name yet....maybe I can give him one?! haha.

Kassiemom...I know ASL as well and find myself signing at times too! haha. Doesn't seem to work either...I wonder why?? lol

Expansive...
    I do the same thing with the accents !! Why is that ! Meeting Irish family ( not even friends of mine ) and I answered the man back with the fake accent !! So embarrassing !!
    I think he will totally watch what the other kids are doing and copy them , ex clean up time , he will notice play time has changed into something else . Probably one of the children you have will take him under their wing !!
    As far as names go lol , I'm bad with names as well , I have 3 little girls with tongue twisting A names !!
    Hoping they get back to you !!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    As embarrassing as it is, I'm glad some of you have the same habits I do when speaking to others LOL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I am also wonderful at finding out somebody has a lazy /problem eye and look directly into that one and then feel like if I look away it's rude so I stick to that eye !!! Ugh lol , I'm sure they wouldn't be offended but .... I'm probably as mature as the kids I look after sometimes !!!

Euphoric !
    LMAO!!!!! omg, I used to work with a girl who had a twitch in one eye and when talking to her, I would blink my eyes every time her one eye twitched!! That is so funny that we sort of do the same....well probably not funny to the people we are talking too!