Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Expansive...
    Bahaha !!!!! I'm totally visualizing that !!! I had to stop chatting with a mom who had a tick and constantly winked !!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with Sillygirl, I have been a teacher in Vancouver with many children starting kindergarten with little or no English, from all different language backgrounds. Children are very perceptive with social cues and following what the group is doing. I don't think you will find it difficult to make your needs known. He will catch on quickly. IME, ESL parents are anxious that their child do well and work together with the teacher/caregiver as best they can... As a teacher I preferred ESL parents!

I had a 20 month old start with me who knew and spoke no English. It was a bit frustrating at times but a year later he's doing great.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AcornsFalling For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    For me personally I wouldn't take a child or family who couldn't speak English. I try and sell things on our local buy and sell website and I just have no patience when someone calls for an item and I can't understand them. It certainly wouldn't be something I would be able to do.

Euphoric !
    So I had given up hope from hearing from this family. I had sent them an email saying we could do a one month trial period but heard nothing back. Well today after work I was out running errands and saw they had emailed. I came home and forgot about it and started to cook supper. The doorbell rings and I consider not answering it (for those who know me, I don't answer my door unless I know your coming. I'm kinda antisocial that way lol) but I was in the kitchen and I knew whoever it was would be able to hear me. Anyways, it was the dad and their older son.

Dad asked if we could do a two week trial period as they are really worried about him being in care of someone who is not family and of course add on the language barrier. I agree to this, I have no other families interested in the spot right now (other than a huge list for January but I really don't want to fill it with a 12 month old if I can help it) so it's basically extra money right now. I asked if they wanted to start the week of the 15th as that is what they told me in the initial interview. Dad asks if they can start tomorrow. So I guess we are doing this week and next week as a trial period LOL. The older son goes to an elementary near us (the one my husband works at actually!) so he will be dropping off and picking up. His English is fantastic!! Very nice boy, great manners and communicated well with me so I'm hoping that's a good sign

I was busy cooking supper so I said let me turn all of this off and get the papers that I need filled out etc but dad says it's okay they can come back later around 8. He asked how much they would owe and away they went! It was so weird, I've never filled a spot like this and feel kinda disorganized! haha. Hopefully it all goes well....cross your fingers for me please!! I guess I'll be busy tonight finding pictures to make a picture book to start our communication!! Oh boy....what have I got myself into!?!? lol

Euphoric !
    Okay, I have pictures for the toilet, lunch, going outside. What else would be major transitions that I should have a picture for?

Euphoric !
    Circle time, craft time, snack?

Euphoric !
    Good Luck!

Outgoing
    Quiet time/nap? Unless you said that and I missed it

Euphoric !
    Thanks girls!! I've added your suggestions!

Euphoric !
    So far so good!!!

Older brother dropped him off and he came right in and went into playing. He didn't cry at all. Has interacted with the other children and myself. He went to the washroom on his own. Mom called and it was hard to understand her over the phone but I think I got most of what she was telling me. She asked to speak to him and so he did with lots of smiles and laughs so I'm taking that as a good sign! She thanked me and we said goodbye. He was fine after this still.

He hasn't ate yet though. Cried at lunch but settled down and watched the other 3 eat. He cried at naptime and came off his cot and out the room twice but I was standing right there both times and just put him back on the cot with a hug and said "sleep" He fell asleep almost instantly after that.

I'm hoping it continues to go well!! I've used my communication book with him for transitions and he's repeated every English word I've asked of him. Still a LONG ways to go but I feel better about it. I'm hoping he continues to come in every morning and goes right into playing because it's hard to comfort him when he's crying as he doesn't know what I'm saying yet.