Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Euphoric !

Child who speaks NO English

So I just had an interview with a very nice Chinese family. However, the parents speak limited English and their 4 yo son speaks NONE and understands NONE. I asked how they think it would work here at daycare with him and I communicating to each other. I asked if pictures would help so that he would know when I'm asking him to use the washroom, letting him know that we're going to do lunch/outside/art etc but they didn't really seem to know what I meant and/or didn't seem to care? The child was VERY happy and played well and seemed excited to be here. I asked the parents to go home and think about it and get back to me in a day or two to let me know if they would be interested in the spot or not. However, I am not sure I want to offer the spot to them if they do decide they like it here. I have only interviewed one other non English speaking family and they chose not to come here due to price so I didn't have to worry about it. This could be the case with this family as well but they didn't flat out tell me no so I'm wondering what to do on the off chance they do say yes.

Has anyone taken on a non English speaking family? Did it work out? Any suggestions? I'm at a loss as to what to do....I would feel terrible telling them no just because of this but on the other hand, it's a pretty big issue isn't it??

Outgoing
    Wow, I don't know what I would do. I'm leaning towards the notion that kids pick up language fast when they're immersed in it. It might not be a big deal after the first little bit.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I was thinking that too. I tried telling myself it's like a baby right...a baby doesn't know or understand words either but catches on fairly quickly. However, will it be the same if they aren't speaking or teaching English at home? I really don't know what to do

It was also a bit difficult speaking to the parents as they have limited English even though they said they have been here for 7 years (well the mom anyways, not sure about dad, usually the dad comes first from what I have been told. A past grandparent here teaches them English at their job they work at) I am also one of those annoying people that speak louder to people who don't know English....like if I yell they might understand better?!?! LOL I could hear myself doing it and kept telling myself to stop being so loud but it just happens as I continue to speak. They likely thought I was crazy! haha

Expansive...
    I would be more concerned about dealing with the communication barrier with the parents than with the child. The kid will pick up English fast, but what if there are issues that come up and you can't communicate with them properly because of the language barrier. It makes things difficult.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Oh I could just picture you speaking loudly, then realizing it and going back to normal. And then doing it again. Haha.
    I used to work at a job where I was the one of the first places that new residents had to stop to set up services. Communicating does get easier, especially if it's something important. You can just translate it for them on your phone if you've got a Web browser. And trust me, most of their kids speak English even though they never do at home. Plus he'll need to speak english eventually anyways, if he goes to school. Might as well start early.

sorry amandaKDT, I didn't see your post until I posted, none of that was in response to yours.
    Last edited by superfun; 09-04-2014 at 06:14 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    haha, I'm sure they wondered why the volume of my voice kept changing!! Good grief...lol. I'm also one of those people that tend to speak with an accent if the other person has one....I don't know why my brain does these things to me!!!

I agree, communicating with the parents is also a concern of mine. They seemed to have a pretty good handle on it but every now and than we didn't seem to be on the same page. Explaining payment was a bit tricky...I don't think they quite understood that first payment is for the first two weeks plus a 1 week deposit towards their last 4 weeks in care. The dad was also concerned about what they would do if the child didn't like coming here. I said I don't do a trial run but that they would have to give me a month's notice to fill the spot. I'm kinda wondering if I do say yes (and they say yes too) that maybe I should do a one month trial run. If it's too much of an issue with the communication, I can just terminate then? They did seem to raise their eyes when I mentioned the fee so maybe they will say no and I won't have to worry about it.

My space is for a child over the age of 2 but one of my infants turns two in January and I'm fairly confident it will fill than with an infant. It would be nice to be making that extra income now though and I do like the idea of older children now that I have two 3 year olds in my care.

Starting to feel at home...
    I work in Vancouver (VERY multi-cultural) and at least 20% of my clients speak little English. Their children however are perfectly fluent in both languages because they were immersed young. I think you should give them a chance. I recommend typing complicated matters for the parents to take home rather than discussing at the door. It is easier for them to read and if needed, they usually have a friend that can translate. My 2 cents.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SillyGirl_C For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Their older son started school yesterday so hopefully he teaches the younger one some English as well!

Thanks for that tip Sillygirl!! I think if they say yes and I decide to give them a shot, that is exactly what I will do!! I will type it up and send an email as well so they can translate if needed. The other family I interviewed back when I very first started brought a translator with them as they spoke even less than this family did. This family did quite well actually, I think I'm just worried and thinking ahead!

I am north of Toronto and around here there are people from all around the globe. I currently have a dcb(half polish and half Vietnamese, a Chinese dcb, and a Kenyan dcg, The 2 latest speak only Cantonese and French at home and they now (2yo and 3 yo) speak and understand English very well. One of these moms has difficulty with the English, but we communicate by email and text since she understand and communicate much better in writing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks for the reassurance!! I think if they do say yes, I will give them a shot! Through email, they did seem to understand what I was saying (altho, they came across as pushy in email and I considered not meeting them but chalked it up due to poor English and I think I was right since they were very friendly in person) I have had a few interested in this spot but when they find out what I charge (which is $12 more per day than a centre) they tend to not be as interested I could wait until January/February to fill the spot with an infant, but I really don't enjoy taking children under 18 months on. I have back pain/arthritis in it and they really do a number on it! lol.

Now I'm kinda excited and hope they do say yes. I do think I will give them a month trial run because of the communication barrier. This way, if it doesn't work out, either one of us can back out of the agreement. I have had mostly caucasian children with only a couple Native American's and one African American family but they all spoke English so it wasn't an issue at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast