Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shy

Unhappy HELP Bad sleeping habits, unable to self sooth!

This is my first time posting but I'm desperate for some advice. I have a new child who just started daycare. Child is rocked fully to sleep at home and also naps on dad on weekends. The child is great and I really like the parents they are easy to talk to and I have spoken to them, have asked them for help because it is a team effort. I run a multi age daycare and have one other that naps and 2 older who no longer nap. My issue is I can't rock and spend a lot of time getting the child to sleep usually I would let the child cry themselves to sleep but this child climbs out of the crib . I don't want the child to get hurt. I have gotten the child to fall asleep by himself by sitting in a chair across the room, but he only slept for 20 min because he doesn't know how to self sooth. Should I keep this up and hope this is teaching him how to sleep? Do you think this is causing bad habits? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Oh my gosh, that is so tough. Poor you. How old is child? If climbing out of crib, I think he is old enough to understand if you keep laying him down in the crib (and firmly say 'sleep time') whenever you hear him try to get out. Hoping parents get board at home too to help this child succeed on self soothing.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I've had a child who climbed out of the crib once and now currently have one who tries. I have a video monitor now though so when I see him awake I keep an eye on him and rush in as soon as he tries to climb out. I have also started putting a crib sheet over his playpen, the kind that has the elastic on the corners, it fits beautifully on top and stays in place. I know that sounds weird but it's been working! He will take the sheet off near the end of naptime but he hasn't tried to climb out in 2 weeks. It also makes his crib darker which probably helps with the sleeping too.

As for the rocking to sleep...that's a tough one! I would be telling the parents that this needs to be weaned from at home (and explain why, some parents really don't get the logistics of group care and how much stress it puts on us when we have a child that needs this) and that at daycare you will be sleep training him to self soothe. Explain the benefits of this as well. Hopefully they are on board with it and will start to do this at home as well. I would let them know that I am giving him a month to adjust to group care but if it doesn't work out than they may be asked to find alternate daycare.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

That is a great idea with the fitted sheet; going to put that one in my memory bank (just in case).

~Anonymous~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I admit, I felt pretty genius when the idea came to me!

(Although there is a good chance I seen it on Pinterest or read it on here and just forgot about it and now am taking credit for it LOL )

Shy
    Thank you for your advice
    Child is 20 months old and I like you Dreamalittledream thought he is old enough to climb out and can fall asleep by self in crib, that I would lay him down when he tries to climb out and tell him it's naptime. The thing is...he cries as soon as I try to leave the room and automatically starts to climb out. So yesterday for 30 min we did this struggle of me leaving and him automatically climbing out and me coming back in and laying him down. He was crying pretty hard not quit histarical and I felt horrible because it feels like a horrible way to start his stay here at my Daycare. But I think I will have to keep it up and have a serious talk with parents, and maybe a one month adjustment period warning will get them on board with dealing with the sleep issues.

I don't see the sheet over the crib working with this child right now, but I like the idea will have to keep that for the future.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Days For This Useful Post:

They can be stubborn little ones, huh? Here's hoping your perseverance works out for you. Can't imagine how exhausting it all must be.

~Anonymous~

Expansive...
    I've got one as well, who is 14 months and in week 2 of transition. He screams bloody murder for 2.5 hrs, as he can't self soothe either, as parents rock him to sleep with a bottle(since the day he was born) He won't even sleep 5 minutes. I sat rubbing his back for 1hr one day, and he still screamed(to the point of gag reflex)
    Thankfully he doesn't crawl out yet. They need to learn to cry it out and calm themselves. If you can give the child a separate room , then do so. I've used sleep music/a fan/ a noise machine as well, to try to settle them. The other solution is to put him in a sleep sack with the fasteners at the back so he can't get it off, and can't get his legs high enough to climb out. I'm giving it a month for transition, and then I'll term, as he keeps everyone else awake at nap time.

Outgoing
    Ooooooh I've got the same thing and I'm on my last straw.

She's 2.5, I've had her for almost 2 weeks. Screams bloody murder and climbs out of the playpen over and over for 2 hours straight. She is keeping my whole house up and I am beyond pissed!

Mom thinks it's FUNNY and admitted that dcg sleeps with mom every night and is rocked to sleep for naps! At 2.5!!

I've tried the sheet over the top, tried sitting with her until she falls asleep, am currently going down and putting her back in every time she climbs out. I literally haven't sat down during the day in almost 2 weeks. No sooner am I back upstairs then she's out again. It's beyond ridiculous.

I'm giving mom notice, I'm done. I had a few terrible dckids last year and hung on WAY too long before finally letting them go. My days were incredibly depressing and I grew to hate my job. Not doing that again.

Now, if the parent hasn't done their part to teach the child to self-soothe, they get to live with the consequences and find another provider. My own 2 year old is exhausted, and my other 2 little ones are getting sent home cranky and overtired, as no one has been able to sleep. Not worth the money.

Shy
    The child has their own room in a crib but I have moved him to another in play pen because the play pen is closer to floor, I really don't want to see him get hurt. You know....you would think/ hope that parents would prepare their child to go to child care? My current parents had signed up in June for a start date in Sept knowing this they should have started correcting the sleeping behaviours. Worst thing is that it's not the child's fault these are all learned bad habits from parents but now the child has to go through a rough process with a stranger.