Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Don't Like Where This Is Headed.....

Just got an email from a lady who's supposed to start her 1 year old with me in 2 weeks. Her job placement got changed to a different town so she was asking for my input on what to do. Ok, fine. Apparently they just bought a house in this new town.... ok.... She's not sure about the commute to drop her son off at care when she'd have to turn around and head back towards where she just came from - 20 minutes there and back, never mind traffic. I respond that while we'd be sorry that her son wouldn't join us (great... a full time spot to fill ) it would be hard on her, especially once winter weather hits, and hard on her son later if she decides to switch providers. (I'd rather look to fill the spot now. I hate not knowing.) She then asks about her 2 week deposit (which I think was the real question from the beginning). I told her that's it's nonrefundable as per the contract. (I held the spot for her longer than I should have but live and let learn...) Well, she responds that she'll stay with me for now since she doesn't have care lined up and she can't afford to lose the deposit. (Ummm.... new house when the commute would have been less than most around here anyways???? Never mind unnecessary gas money...) Next she asks me to open 15 minutes early for her to give her time to get to work. Seriously???? I agree that I owe her the 2 weeks of course but should I argue about the early opening? Not sure that I should make it easier for her when I foresee her pulling him when she decides that she's found a closer spot. Thoughts??
    Last edited by Daisy123; 09-11-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Expansive...
    I wouldn't. State your hours and that is that. I feel for her, a big change and the commute really sucks but her own lack of planning does not constitute as an emergency on your part. Or set up an early drop off fee on top of your regular daily fees.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Well as long as she is paying then she is more than welcome to bring her child. Her housing/job/commute are not your problem. Your hours are your hours and do not change them for her. You will regret it when she ends up pulling her child eventually for a daycare closer.

I once had a family from another town book my spot, the child was difficult to transition, I worked so hard and couldn't figure out why the family always seemed to brush me off. A few months later when a spot in a center that they were waiting for opened up I got my notice. If I would have known I was a "just for now" daycare I would have terminated when we were having all the nap issues.

Just be careful with this family, they could be the kind who try to get out of paying and will definitely find something better and pull their child.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

I did restate my hours when I asked her what time she'd need to drop off. Her next message was when she responded with her preferred time. That's it, a time and a question mark. I do feel for her, they are a nice family and I try to be flexible when I can but.... not getting a good feeling about this. The early drop off fee is a good idea Lou. If I open early for her I will ask for that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy123 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    my thought on this though is if you bend now she will keep asking for you to make changes. I know it sounds terrible but I cannot be flexible. If you give an inch they expect a mile. What happens when she finds out she can't make your closing time, would she think it is ok to just pay an additional fee every time she picks up late? I have in my contract that there are fees but constant lateness can result in termination.

I really wouldn't do it for her. I always think of it this way - if I do it for one family I should allow it for all families and am I prepared for that? My answer usually is no.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    It's a tough spot. I understand how you feel as I do try to be flexible when I can but there are some things that I am not flexible with. My hours is one of them. I do open 15 mins earlier for one family but that is because they were here when I opened at 730am but I switched my hours and figured it would be easier when they left because than none of them would be here that early. She is only 3 days a week and a few parents know she comes earlier but none have ever questioned it.

I would just keep telling her that I am open at such and such and an earlier drop off is not possible as you have to get your own family ready for the day. I have a late fee for the end of the day but if she were to come earlier I would charge it or keep the door locked until opening time. I do think it sounds like she will leave when something more convenient comes along so I wouldn't be too willing to accommodate when I felt/knew this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If they bought a house and are moving in prior to her new job starting she knew about this earlier than last week and no reason she couldn't have been honest with you or asked her questions then. I agree she is using you as a stop gap till she finds something in town so don't make it easy ie get what you can out of the arrangement before she moves on. Ideally she would move before the two weeks is up and you would get to keep the money without having to do the full care. I agree that telling her there will be a daily surcharge is a good idea - you could make it something like $5 a day and offer to feed breakfast - assuming child will be getting up extra early to come to you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your input! I told her that I wouldn't open early and she seemed understanding and said that she'd try it. I know that the boy probably won't be here long- I'm really hoping for a nice easy transition to lessen frustration!! I also came right out and told her that I'm uneasy about the situation and explained why. I've learned through time that it usually pays to just be blunt. She said that if I have a request for the spot then to let her know and she'd see about looking for alternate care. Translation, she'll probably be thinking about it anyways but oh well....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy123 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I wouldn't open early either. I have and do open early for two clients who are military BUT that was part of our agreement from interview stage and that is written in their contracts as being agreed to.

She knew where her day care was when she bought the new house (and didn't bother telling you until last minute). I agree that her deposit is absolutely not refundable if she opts not to come.

If you are willing to work the additional time - then do so but don't do it for free! Every adult works for the sole reason of paying their own family expenses. No one works for free. No one extends their working day without expectation of being financially compensated. That's the real world.

You contract with her was to provide care during core business hours. Its not your issue that she now has further to travel. If she really can't make it to you on time, she has two options. Either she's late for work or she has to find another carer and that means losing the deposit she paid you to hold the place - which you did.

I open at 7am. I'd really like the grocery store to open at 6am so I could go there and get back home for work but life isn't like that. Their business hours are such I wouldn't make it back here to work on time and that's something I have to accept. I certainly don't expect that business to open early and not charge me for the convenience as I am quite able to go to a different grocery store that is open. She's in the same situation - she would like her provider (you) to open early so she can get to work on time. You aren't obligated to but if you are willing to, it's not unreasonable to charge for that. If she's not happy with this, she can go to another carer who either lives closer and means a shorter time needed for travelling or one who opens early.

One other thought too - the lack of communication about their changing circumstances, the fact you know that really she'd prefer to go else where but isn't because she can't lose her deposit, - it all shows traits which might be tricky later. (Poor planning, expectation that change your business plan, less than open communication). I think the writting is on the wall.

I think I would decline the extended hours, decline the return of refund (as you did) and sit tight. The ball is in her court then.

She actually emailed me this morning to say that she's decided that the commute would be too hard and that she's giving up the space. No mention about the deposit. I'm actually relieved even though it means having to fill a spot. I consider the deposit compensation for lost pay while holding the space for her! (A space that I could have filled a couple of times over I might add!) But yes, if she's given me a hard time I had considered what you suggested a daycarelady.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daisy123 For This Useful Post: