Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sibling rates

Shy

Sibling rates

Hi ladies,

I am in Alberta, my hubby and I run a dayhome that caters to shift workers. Yes I know how odd this is. I have a mom whom needs care for her 3 little girls. My question is, how much do I charge for siblings? The same as my daily rate for one child? Or do I give them a break?

Thanks!

Tara

Euphoric !
    This will sound harsh and like I have no heart BUT.....

THEY chose to have 3 kids. It is up to THEM to support those 3 children and that means paying for daycare. Why should you give them a break when you could take on 3 different families with one child each and be making your full amount?

There are pros and cons to taking on families with multiple children (the biggest con for me is when they leave I'm stuck filling 3 spots as opposed to 1) and it is ultimately up to you to decide what you want to do but for myself, I don't offer sibling discounts. It wasn't my choice to have all those children so why should I be the one loosing out on pay because of it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    No discount .....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I do not provide discounts for siblings. Their level of care is no less just because they are related.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to monkeys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    i wouldn't necessarily give a discount but if there is one that is older and more independent perhaps charging less? i know some providers will charge $5 less for children over 6 yrs old. maybe that is an option?

Expansive...
    No discounts. It is still the same quality of care for all 3, as well as meals/snacks/art etc. Don't undersell yourself, especially for shift workers, which is a unique service in itself.

Expansive...
    Um , I give a discount , I have a family of 3 . However I wish I wouldn't have and will not in the future . It is how the other providers have explained , you are feeding , caring and buying crafts /food ect for them you should be getting the same pay !

Euphoric !
    No discount. I find siblings more work! They spend every second with each other so get tired of each other quickly and I find there are more fights. Plus side though is that if they are away then usually ALL away. I still give no discount for siblings and never will.

I could see the temptation to do so to attract more clients. Especially when you are trying to fill 2 spots (me) or more... What I've found in the past by allowing a discount (it wasn't for siblings though) was that at first I was just relieved to have a relatively normal client sign on. Then a few months into the contract, I would feel taken advantage of, resentful and kicking myself. In the end, you lose income. And yes, it is much harder to fill 2 (or more) spots when a family of siblings leave.

Outgoing
    I don't give sibling discounts either. Why should I decrease my income level for their financial advantage?

If they go to a gas station and fill up two cars, do they get a discount?
    If they go to the grocery store as a family of 5, do they get a discount?

My daily rate is my daily rate and I understand that larger families have larger expenses but it was fully their choice to have a large family and I am not financially obligated to assist them make that affordable.

Would they take a pay cut if you (someone who is a complete stranger at this point) asked them to?
    And bear in mind, these reduced fees aren't just a one-off to fill places, it's a loss that you will continue to incur, potentially for years until their children go to school.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post: