Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expansive...
    I made the granola bites recipe on Saturday, had to make them in a square pan then cut them into bars since I didn't have the mini muffin tins. I only used 2 tbsp of brown sugar, used maple syrup instead of honey, and dark chocolate chips instead of raisins. My daughter really liked them, they are a hit! They are abit crumbly, but not as bad as the other granola bar recipe I tried. If I had the mini muffins tins instead it would be better since I wouldn't have to cut them into pieces. I will make them again!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    That's a good idea to cut back on the sugar. I didn't find it too sweet though.
    Yeah, you should try cutting back on the sugar next time and see if it tastes much different.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have a dck with severe peanut and tree-nut allergies, plus the school is nut-free, so I feel your pain! My son used to loooooove peanut butter - he'd probably be happy taking a pb sandwich to school every day if he could!

No store-bought granola bar is going to actually BE healthy, but my kids occasionally get the Quaker chewy fruit ones - they make a raspberry crumble and an apple crumble. I just read the ingredients, and while sugar is listed, corn syrup isn't, and they're nut-free. They have a strawberry-banana yogurt kind too. I don't have that box on hand, so I don't know about the corn syrup, and it's not really healthy, but at least I'm not sending my kids to school with granola bars filled with chocolate chips and marshmallows and covered in more chocolate!

My kids take celery sticks filled with hummus, taziki (ok how the hell do you spell that?), or baba ghanouj a lot, usually with raisins on top. Cheese, meat, and crackers so they can make their own "lunchables," yogurt cups, unsweetened applesauce and fruit cups, and they love homemade muffins! Carrot and oatmeal...I think I found the recipe on pinterest, and they freeze ok too.

Lunches are so hard to keep interesting...

Euphoric !
    anyone have a good low sugar cookie recipe? All the ones I have tried are pretty gross (in my opinion and the kids!)

Euphoric !
    That sounds good....except for the dates. Would it be okay to leave out?

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEight View Post
    I have a dck with severe peanut and tree-nut allergies, plus the school is nut-free, so I feel your pain! My son used to loooooove peanut butter - he'd probably be happy taking a pb sandwich to school every day if he could!

No store-bought granola bar is going to actually BE healthy, but my kids occasionally get the Quaker chewy fruit ones - they make a raspberry crumble and an apple crumble. I just read the ingredients, and while sugar is listed, corn syrup isn't, and they're nut-free. They have a strawberry-banana yogurt kind too. I don't have that box on hand, so I don't know about the corn syrup, and it's not really healthy, but at least I'm not sending my kids to school with granola bars filled with chocolate chips and marshmallows and covered in more chocolate!

My kids take celery sticks filled with hummus, taziki (ok how the hell do you spell that?), or baba ghanouj a lot, usually with raisins on top. Cheese, meat, and crackers so they can make their own "lunchables," yogurt cups, unsweetened applesauce and fruit cups, and they love homemade muffins! Carrot and oatmeal...I think I found the recipe on pinterest, and they freeze ok too.

Lunches are so hard to keep interesting...
    Yes, I was hoping for some moderately healthy store bought snacks to keep in the cupboard for days when I don't have time for homemade - but it looks like that ain't gonna happen. I usually buy Kashi granola bars for snacks but they all have nuts... And I looked at the ingredients in them again today and even though the don't have corn syrup they still have different forms of sugar mentioned like 5 times (not a good thing). But even so, they still have less grams of sugar per serving than other bars and are higher in fibre.

I am such a label reader, I spend way too much time at the grocery store reading ingredient lists then not buying most of it because the ingredients are so bad for you. I keep hoping that I will be happily surprised. But actually, many of the Blue Label brand items from Superstore aren't half bad. When the promote it as a healthy choice it usually turns out to be true!

Outgoing
    I really like the superstore brand for a lot of things. I should start checking out the blue menu stuff. Do they fill it with the unhealthy substitutes? Like aspartame, etc?

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    I really like the superstore brand for a lot of things. I should start checking out the blue menu stuff. Do they fill it with the unhealthy substitutes? Like aspartame, etc?
    I don't find that they do. Like they have reduced sodium spaghetti sauce, but it doesn't have a bunch of sugar or MSG to replace the salt.