Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Late Fees

Starting to feel at home...

Late Fees

I have a family who I agreed to give them a 10 to 15 minute grace at 5:00 pm to keep them as client. Now, I wish I wouldn't because they came at 5:30 pm to pick-up their children. She had a problem with her ride share. I've been upset the entire weekend, I have no issues with other parents being late. I was to thread lightly but also let them know that pick-up at 5:30 pm will not be acceptable. They are leaving in February as they are expecting another child. Your input please

Outgoing
    Be honest, speak directly (don't hint around the issue) and be firm.

"We had an agreement where I would allow up to 15 mins grace at 5pm for you to collect the child(ren). Recently, that's extended into being 30 mins. I'm sorry, but this is impacting on my family time, and not something I agreed to do and it's not something I am willing to do. Would you ensure that in future, you are here at the agreed time."

Do you have a late collection charge? I do. It's in my contracts and it's expensive - $1 per minute beginning at closing time. I've never had to charge it as anyone who has been late, it's been very rare and it's been for a genuine reason and it's never been more than 10 mins. But, it's there in case someone starts taking advantage along with the statement that if late pick up becomes a regular occurrence, I will terminate the care without notice for breach of contract (i.e. care beyond the agreed hours) but fees for the standard 4 week notice period, will apply.

If you have such a thing in your contracts I would add to the above...

"The extra 15 mins from 5.15pm until 5.30pm will incur the late collection fee from now on."

Her issue with her ride, is not your issue. She's making it your issue and by remaining quiet, to an extent, you've enabled that. Time to define the boundary clearly and be willing to enforce it I'm afraid. Good luck
    Last edited by Rachael; 09-15-2014 at 07:34 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Agree with Rachael. My day is long enough and I don't want to work overtime, especially unpaid!

My late fee is in increments because I didn't want to deal with charging $4 for 4 mins etc. Anything after close up to 15 mins is $10, than $20 for anything in the next 15 mins and a full days pay, $32, for anything after that. I've only had one parent that needed to pay, 3X!! Lol. For 5 minutes she paid $10 and was still late 2X after that! Some people will just pay and not care but for the most part, I have found having a late fee helps.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Agree with Rachael. My day is long enough and I don't want to work overtime, especially unpaid!

My late fee is in increments because I didn't want to deal with charging $4 for 4 mins etc. Anything after close up to 15 mins is $10, than $20 for anything in the next 15 mins and a full days pay, $32, for anything after that. I've only had one parent that needed to pay, 3X!! Lol. For 5 minutes she paid $10 and was still late 2X after that! Some people will just pay and not care but for the most part, I have found having a late fee helps.
    Mine used to say $5 for 5 mins but then those who were 4 mins late, didn't feel the fees applied. Or those who were 9 mins late, felt it was a $5 fee. It's incredible how some parents will try and find the loop hole. I changed the wording about 3 years ago when a friend was having parents show up at 4 mins past constantly and arguing that the contract was ambiguous and that no late fees were due.

I too have found a late fee helps. It focusses the parents on the fact business hours are just that and extended care will incur a fee and not a cheap one. As said, I've wavered it in the past when a 5 year long client phoned to say they had a puncture and were just fixing it or when there was a huge snow storm and the whole city came to a standstill due to white out conditions. Those, to me, are unavoidable and not routine. I've never had a parent view it as permission to be late, but I think that's mainly due to how steep the fees are. I don't have a cap on mine at all.

10 mins is $10, 30 mins is $30, an hour late will cost them $60, and so on. It does help.

Euphoric !
    Oh geeze! Some parents hey! That is why my wording is "up too"....I thought some parents might even abuse that, " oh I'm already 5 mins late, may as well take my whole 15" but I haven't found that to be the case at all thank goodness!

I have had parents call/text saying they would be late but luckily it is rare that it's past my closing time. I've had a couple times where I didn't charge the fee and those parents didn't abuse my generosity. I also have in my contract that too many late pick ups may result in termination so that probably helps too.

Expansive...
    Yes, late fees are needed! But not $1 a minute, make it extreme. Mine is $20 cash on the spot after 1 minute after closing time. So at 5:15, make it $20, or she'll take advantage of you. That's why parents must have backup people(friends/relatives) to pick up.

Euphoric !
    I would have been so mad if they didn't pick up until 5:30. I get upset when parents are 5 minutes late! I would also enforce a late fee. Mine is $1 per minute as well. I had a dad who was late a few times. I talked to the mom about it and it quickly stopped. My daughter has activities that we have to get too during the week and my families know I am in a hurry to go. I would never ever extend my pickup time for one family. I used to be closed at 5:15 and had 1 family who picked up then. Those last 15 minutes felt like forever!! When the left I quickly changed my closing time and never looked back.

Euphoric !
    Sorry ladies but one thing I am curious about is how is it possible someone is this late in picking up their child? Do you not start calling/texting after a certain amount of time? I would likely give it no more than 5 minutes before I started sending texts or calling. After 15 I would be calling the emergency pickup person to get them to come ASAP.

Euphoric !
    The latest I had a child late was around the 30 minute mark. I also start to call/text after a few mins past closing time but it still takes time for the emergency pickup person to get there. It is soooo annoying though and I am glad they are gone too!

Euphoric !
    wow adaycarelady - I think that the letter the next day would have been a termination letter instead of a late pick up fee.