Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Cancelling interview with potential client

I haven't had to do this but I have an interview scheduled for Friday that I want to cancel. Too many red flags, have arisen and I just don't feel it would be a good fit. (ex: she can't afford to pay the deposit, etc) Do I just email saying I have decided to go with a different family? She will see me advertise but I don't care about that.

Outgoing
    I like honesty but I can understand that sometimes that can be uncomfortable esp if it's a gut feeling vs a hard reason.

If you said you have gone with someone else, and then advertise, it doesn't look very professional in my opinion.

I think I would just message her and say what you said.

"Upon considering our prior conversations, I don't feel that I am a good fit for your needs. With that in mind, I feel it would be unfair to waste your time for our scheduled meeting and therefore would like to cancel it. I wish you all the best and I'm sure you will find a wonderful carer who is a perfect fit for your family."

If you don't feel you can be so direct, I'd maybe consider having the interview after all. You never know, they might surprise you. Although normally my gut feelings about someone are right, there has been the odd time where I felt a family might be a pain in the butt but then I've met them any way and they've taken on board fully my terms and conditions and never let me down. So sometimes, we do get it wrong.

I wouldn't waver the deposit - but it might be that they didn't budget for one and when she said she couldn't afford it, that was a gut reaction to an expense she hadn't considered. Since she set up an interview anyway, it's possible that she's managed to raise those funds since we was made aware of them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Lou

Expansive...
    I agree with Rachel, just because she might not have the money now for the deposit and asked to opt out doesnt mean that she couldnt get everything together if she wants you to care for her child. That being said , I am learning to trust myself in making decisions regarding which families to work with and which ones to pass.
    Personally I would prob have the interview and go from there >
    Good luck !!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Lou

Euphoric !
    I too would have the interview, set out your expectations and then the ball is in their court. You never know they might be great

Euphoric !
    I am not a fan of meeting if it is clear that we are not a good fit for each other. I don't want to make my days any longer than they have too and I value my time off too much to meet with people who aren't going to agree with my contract. I would send another email asking what her plans are in regard to the deposit should she like my daycare and want to come here. If she flat out doesn't want to pay the deposit than I would let her know that the meeting is cancelled and that you wish her the best of luck.

If things are iffy though and you aren't sure what her plans are, I would meet but ask all the deal breaker questions first. If it doesn't go well than you can cut the meeting short.

Shy
    I have to agree with 5 little monkeys. If you have that gut feeling then why waste your time and theirs. If she is already asking for changes to your rules/policies what will happen if your take her as a client (will she not be able to pay you on time either or ask for different hours). I would send another email as well stating that you have policies that all clients must agree to (deposit) or you are not the right provider for them. If she still isn't wanting to pay...wish her luck and move on.

Euphoric !
    The more people she contacted and realized the deposit was more then norm than the exception the more likely she is to be able to find the extra money. Have worked out a payment plan for the deposit with a family in the past as well that I thought would be a great family to work with but never not charged it. I would probably have the interview but be firm on what is owed and why and if you get a bad feeling at that point - make it near the beginning of the interview so you only waste a half hour not more then cut the interview short if necessary saying sorry but the policy is the same for everyone and if she has an issue with it then this is not the home for her and show them the door. That saves face and you might be surprised to find they have found a way to make it work or come back to you in a few days after the interview saying they found the money.

Euphoric !
    Beyond the deposit - you indicated this was sort of the biggest of the red flags but that there were other concerns. If you really feel this family is not for you then best to cancel the interview and save you all the time. I would just email them and say after careful consideration there are some things about the care required and our professional relationship that concern me - I would spell a few of them out which gives them a chance to counter if they wish in case it was all a misunderstanding - and therefore I have decided that we are not a good fit and that we should both look at different care arrangements. Therefore I would like to cancel the interview that was to take place Friday night.