Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Why are they not playing toys............advi ce

I have lots of different toys but I'm finding this group isn't playing with them. Oh sure they pull it out and then pull out another instead of playing with the first one for a few minutes. I know they have short attention spans at this age (18 months, 21 months in particular) but I wish they at least play with a toy or look at the book for a few minutes. There must be one of these things that gets their attention. Any advice. I have two different levels of building blocks out, cars, Little Tykes mountain only partially set up so it's small, Cinderella Castle with little people accessories, books (2 are electronic) Kitchen and play food, V-Tech Kangaroo, and Zebra spin and bounce, and many other random toys. Is this too much stuff all at once?

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't worry about it. I have tons of toys (seriously way too many!!), most days it all gets pulled out. That is just what little ones do. As they get older they will play with toys longer.

Outgoing
    I honestly don't think it is you at all, my group is exactly the same. I think it is just because the parents play with them 24/7 and they don't know HOW to play independently. I also have a young group(a 3.5 yr old, three 2 year olds and a one year old) and they throw toys, dump buckets etc . And even when I had the older kids it was the same thing, I was constantly telling them to sit and play instead of running around like crazy people. I have one 2 year old who plays with nothing, even outside. He just calls my name all day and says nothing when i respond. Over the last few years I have noticed a change in how the children play, they seem to need constant interaction with an adult whereas 5 years ago, my group would play independently all day.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

Your right about the kids years ago playing by themselves. I know parents occupy all of their time and don't give them time alone play, grow, become independent, and self soothe. I just started at 1 year old who can't play and can't self soothe "AT ALL". His Mom knows this and is trying to correct it now. Thank goodness she's on board with CIO. Maybe I need to teach them how to play with the toys and then sneak away lol. I like to have the first hr. and half during arrivals where I can get things done.

Expansive...
    I don't know, all my crew are really good playing independently. Don't think it is fair to generalize and say all parents these days haven't taught their kids to play on their own.

There are so many different parenting styles and first time parents of course aren't going to realize that some of the things they do at home are going to back things difficult in group care. That is where the daycare provider comes in, teaching them to play independently along with all the other life skills we teach. For sure the personality, age and attention spans of kids affect their play and how long they will play with toys.

But I probably would put away some of the toys and rotate them through every few weeks. I find if there are less toys out they can focus on the toys that ARE out better.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have been in this business for over 20 years and I have seen a huge change in the way children play. My daycare children have a few toys out each day, meaning 2 or 3 bucket toys at a time, maube 10 books in the book centre and my climbing mats and it makes no difference. They still bash and throw the toys everywhere and many of them are just wanderers. I end up rotating toys several times a day! Just to try to get them interested in playing with something for more than 2 seconds. Most of my daycare children are 2 or older and by that age they should be learning to play independently to a point. If I sit on the floor with them they will play for a short time but the minute I get up to change a diaper, use the washroom myself or prep a meal, they completely go wild and abandon all the toys, THAT is how I know that their parents play with them all the time. I also have a group of 5 boys right now and I find that they are much harder to keep occupied than the mixed group I had a couple of years ago. JMO

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree with Amanda and jodaycare. I have also seen a huge change in the way children play over the last 10 years IME. Some parents keep their children so occupied that the child doesn't learn how to play or how to interact with people their own age. Other parents are starting to introduce technology so early on and than when they go to daycare they are totally lost as many daycares don't have that kind of stuff.

When I first started I had a very young group. 2 under a year old and 2 just 2 year olds and I found that if I had less toys available to play with, it went better. I feel that kids get overwhelmed when too many toys are out and instead of playing they just dump them all over the place. For myself, my own OCD kicks in when the play room is a disaster and it really bugs me when toys get broken because the kids don't have room to play so they are stepping on toys and books.

Right now I have an older group and I find that they are okay with more toys being out. Their imagination allows them to use the blocks and little people to pretend play instead of just dumping them everywhere. If I find though that dumping of toys is happening, I decrease the amount I have readily available to them.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Thanks ladies. AmandaKDT, sorry, I didn't mean to offend you by implying all parents. Like you said, parents don't think ahead to the time they will not constantly be there, when they will need these independent skills. I do know there are great parents out there, I was speaking in terms of the change between 20 years ago and today. I think I will put away many of the toys and see if they focus better less. Thanks again.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha33 View Post
    Thanks ladies. AmandaKDT, sorry, I didn't mean to offend you by implying all parents. Like you said, parents don't think ahead to the time they will not constantly be there, when they will need these independent skills. I do know there are great parents out there, I was speaking in terms of the change between 20 years ago and today. I think I will put away many of the toys and see if they focus better less. Thanks again.
    Don't worry, wasn't offended. Just making conversation.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have 3 teens and I painfully recall my now 18 year old son wanted me to be the Activities Director constantly. My other two were fine to play on their own. Same with my groups of dcks some are totally fine occupying themselves, and others wander around in circles....
    I had trouble with toys being thrown and ending up on someone's head (usually mine)...it hurt a lot, so I introduced 'Toss Time'. I have a bin filled with soft toys; pool toys are great - the kind that are soft and spongy, nerf balls, stuffies. I tell the kids they can only throw at 'Toss Time' and then we all go wild and crazy without hurting anyone... to clean up all the toys they have to try and throw them back into the bin. I introduced it to my younger group too - 15 months, and seems to work. If a child does throw a toy, I tell them immediately no, and that we only throw soft toys at Toss Time. It's worked for me for a while now.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebhappydc For This Useful Post: