Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    Secondtimearound- I see what you're saying and agree that parents can choose to have their child home. However the OP seems to wants her to go to school but is struggling to do so based on what I read.

Euphoric !
    I agree that jk is useless and I also think full day kindergarten is not necessary....I think they should do away with jk and just to kindy for half days .....however that is not the way it is ....kindergarten is not mandatory so if you don't want to send her remove her and sign her up next year ....I gues it depends on the maturity of your child ...one of my children was born at the end of dec I sent her only because even though I run a daycare I felt she needed the outside stimulation as well as being with out me ....that was my choice .....I didn't like that she was still 3 years old and gone all day. you know your child the best ...is she too young maturity wise ? or is she just strong willed and she's playing you? does she need the social aspects as well as the structure that school provides ? if I made the choice to enroll my child in school then said child would go ....children are too young to make certain decisions ....let her choose what she wants to wear ....let her choose some of the food choices for lunch but don't let her choose if she goes to school .....does the school have a daycare in that you could enroll her in the morning program ? that way you or dad could drop her off there in the morning before you start daycare or on dads way to work ....that would solve your dilemma.

Expansive...
    Personally, I don't think the value of JK is relevant here.

"Refuses to go to school" and "didn't go to school" are key points here. An independent high school student 'doesn't go to school' a 4 year old is 'taken' to school. End of story.

Every single week someone posts on here about a child who 'refuses' to nap. No one advises the poster to just let them not nap then. Or a child that only eats pizza. Do we suggest only feeding them pizza? Why is this situation different?

Some kids take to school straight away while others need encouragement and time to settle in. Not much different than transitioning a new child to our care. You are the parent so you make the decision. Either pull her out right now or start working with her to get settled into the new routine. Letting her choose not to go if she has a tantrum is giving her more power in the struggle and is teaching her that this behaviour gets her what she wants.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has experience with their own children not wanting to go to school. My daughter just started JK a few weeks ago and it has been a huge struggle. She cries, and refuses to go on the bus, or even be driven. She wants to stay at home with me and the daycare kids. I try bribing her with everything! She is not shy, she went to camp no problem this summer. She is outgoing and has fun when she does go to school. I got her to go no problem last Monday-Thursday so I thought she was over it, but now she has not gone Friday, Monday or today.
    Do I keep trying, or give up and let her stay home?
    This might sound incredibly harsh but I don't understand why a child is making the decision about whether or not to attend school. That, IMO, is not an option.

Everyone has to do things they don't enjoy or would prefer not to do, that's part of life. Having the skills to cope with this is as vital as speaking, walking and any other basic life skill, we are parents need to give our children.

So what if she cries? She's entitled to feel however she wants to about a given situation but crying shouldn't be a reason to permit her to stay home. Surely in doing so, she is learning that making a scene and crying means she gets her own way.

I understand it's hard to force a child into a situation they don't want to be in, when they are upset but it's harder still to stand your ground with a 16 year old who has learned how to manipulate a situation than it is a KD child.

Bribing too, IMO, is not the way to go.

The fact she is outgoing and has fun when she does go should confirm to you that this is merely a means for her to express a preference of staying home. That's not unusual. Most adults would like to stay home too all day but it's not a option. Stop allowing it to be an option.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwiper View Post
    Personally, I don't think the value of JK is relevant here.

"Refuses to go to school" and "didn't go to school" are key points here. An independent high school student 'doesn't go to school' a 4 year old is 'taken' to school. End of story.

Every single week someone posts on here about a child who 'refuses' to nap. No one advises the poster to just let them not nap then. Or a child that only eats pizza. Do we suggest only feeding them pizza? Why is this situation different?

Some kids take to school straight away while others need encouragement and time to settle in. Not much different than transitioning a new child to our care. You are the parent so you make the decision. Either pull her out right now or start working with her to get settled into the new routine. Letting her choose not to go if she has a tantrum is giving her more power in the struggle and is teaching her that this behaviour gets her what she wants.
    Isn't that basically what I said ????

Starting to feel at home...
    I completely understand what you are going through. my daughter went no problem the first week was fun, then the honeymoon period was over and surprise she realized this was not a short term vacation. She said "i'm going to go one more day, get my shoes and blanket and tell them i won't be back." As much as i want to keep her home and hold onto her a little longer (plus i think full day is a crock but thats another topic) I know she needs to go. If i start letting her skip school now it sets a president that she can just not go if she doesn't feel like it. Now JK and SK are not mandatory in Ontario so perhaps keeping her home for 1 more year is the solution. I haven't read how old she is but if she is a late in the year baby perhaps she just isn't ready yet. I would just suggest talking to her teacher and see if you can work together to encourage her to have more fun. Also I know its hard but perhaps taking a few days off from daycare or asking parents to drop off later would be ideal so you can walk her to the bus and put her on and establish a bit of a routine. keep us posted.
    Feeling your pain!!!!

I went through this with my 6 yo, when he started Kindy @ 5, there is no jk sk where I live...Anyway.... I sent him in a cab taking it out of his earned reward and chore money...I understand that all children are different, and I had it worked out with this cab company, that they would only send drivers he knew...And he knew that if the money was there, that is what I would use not money out of my own wallet or his dad's.

If that was not an option I said he had a sick day, which meant soup, water, dry toast, and flat ginger ale. It also meant no tv, no play time and only coming out of his room to go to the washroom, or have his "sick meal options."

He quickly learned that going to school was more fun that putting up a stink, and spending his money, or staying home "sick in bed."
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 10-01-2014 at 10:50 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dodge__driver11 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I think it has relevance because then the decision to make comes from if the poster thinks it is important enough to push the issue with her dd . If jk was mandatory then I would not have a problem saying make her go . Because it is not opens the choices. We've all had issues and made demands on our child that others wouldn't for example pacifiers , some would take them away cold turkey at an age they feel is right and some wait until the child is old enough to walk to the tree , grab branches and load the pacifiers for the fairies to take for little babies . This is the same to me , I was advising since it is not mandatory and not utilized by a lot of parents that she has the choice here .
    I am in no way arguing the child has any say t but just advising to pick the battles .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Shy

staying home

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has experience with their own children not wanting to go to school. My daughter just started JK a few weeks ago and it has been a huge struggle. She cries, and refuses to go on the bus, or even be driven. She wants to stay at home with me and the daycare kids. I try bribing her with everything! She is not shy, she went to camp no problem this summer. She is outgoing and has fun when she does go to school. I got her to go no problem last Monday-Thursday so I thought she was over it, but now she has not gone Friday, Monday or today.
    Do I keep trying, or give up and let her stay home?
    I had ( and still have) a child that wanted to stay with me everyday and not go to school. The key is sending them every day on a consistent basis. If they act up and you let them stay home, they will ramp up the bad behaviour to get what they want ( to stay with mom). Let the child know that school is a necessary part of life and they dont get to make the decision on whether they go or not. Otherwise you will have a very difficult time as they grow up!