Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Euphoric !
    Maybe it's just me but I view my home as my home after daycare hours. During work hours, it is my business and therefore it opens me, my fiance (he's here during the day) and our home up to my clients and their questions and concerns. If I didn't want that than I should not have opened my doors and I should have stayed working in a centre IMO. Of course it is still my home during work hours but there is also a grey area and I don't fault the parents for asking nor am I offended. I try to put myself in their shoes and I would likely ask the same. I agree with the poster who said that not agreeing to this would raise a red flag. It is entirely up to each provider to decline and I think that is fine but just be aware that it would look suspicious to some families and may turn some away.

In daycare centres, every staff member is required to have a clean check done so asking to see one would be pointless because they wouldn't be working there if they didn't have a clean one. A parent could probably ask to see it though. Many people who do not have clean checks live with their children Dodge.

Well 5 we have to agree to disagree again, and that's okay I have a client who has been with me since I opened, one that just left that has been with me for 2 years. I also have references from past positions, and written testimonials, so in my opinion those speak better then a piece of paper that says I wasn't caught doing something illegal. I have one but I don't get it renewed.

I understand that that sometimes may be the case, but at the same time I am saying at some point someone would have intervened, especially when the child goes to school, kids are not good liars, for pete's sake I know that lol.

I guess what I am trying to say 5 is we do our best to Vito people all the time but sometimes whackadoo's still get into our home, and did we ask them for a CPIC?

Anyways I've shared my opinion on this topic in past posts, so its all good.
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 10-02-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Euphoric !
    I totally agree that all those examples are better references than a piece of paper but there have been stories of hdcp's who don't have clean records but because parents didn't ask they didn't know. Those are the situations that I think of when a parent asks and completely understand why they do.

I also don't think a parent should rely on the clean cheque only and should continue to "investigate" their hdcp until they are certain they trust them. Parents that just put their child in my care without so much of a thought as to what kind of person I am make me wonder how they do that. Of course I'm totally safe and trustworthy but they don't know that!

Expansive...
    In BC all staff of daycares have to have their CRC and the same with home daycares and everyone who lives in the house over 18, and you have to renew it every five years , it cost $28 for each check -

if a bad guy has the same date of birth you have to file a more detailed form and that costs $55 and just hope you don't have to do that every 5 years- some parents ask about it but a lot of parents are not even aware of it but it is a requirement to be a licensed daycare or to be ECE or to even volunteer at daycares and schools in BC

Update:

I gave them the spot. I still haven't found time to get my check done, but I'll do it eventually. They didn't ask about my husband getting one, thank goodness. They have turned out to be a very atypical family from what I am used to, but they have paid on time, drop off and pick up on time, and the little girl is lovely. Shrug.

They're not friendly. Mom never replies to my texts, even though she asks me to send them. Dad does drop off and mom does pick up and they NEVER smile or thank me. I understand, though, that people are just different, and a business relationship doesn't have to be friendly.

So, all's well that ends well. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox Sally View Post
    Update:

I gave them the spot. I still haven't found time to get my check done, but I'll do it eventually. They didn't ask about my husband getting one, thank goodness. They have turned out to be a very atypical family from what I am used to, but they have paid on time, drop off and pick up on time, and the little girl is lovely. Shrug.

They're not friendly. Mom never replies to my texts, even though she asks me to send them. Dad does drop off and mom does pick up and they NEVER smile or thank me. I understand, though, that people are just different, and a business relationship doesn't have to be friendly.

So, all's well that ends well. LOL
    Wow that's odd though that they can't be more personable??? It's inpolite in my opinion not to at least make face, and in a business relationship like no other. Are you filing their taxes or helping raise their child lol Glad it's working out for you and hopefully they will warm up to you a bit as its still early days. Not being friends and being friendly are two different things in my opinion but then there's nought as queer as folk

Euphoric !
    Glad it worked out well but I agree with BS. It is one thing to be friends but another to be friendly. If my families weren't friendly to me I don't know how long I'd keep them as clients. If I wasn't friendly to them or their child they sure as heck wouldn't like it now would they? Saying this, I am not friends with them outside of daycare.

I think business relationships (especially in this industry) need and should be friendly but as long as it's working out for you, great!!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    In BC all staff of daycares have to have their CRC and the same with home daycares and everyone who lives in the house over 18, and you have to renew it every five years , it cost $28 for each check -

if a bad guy has the same date of birth you have to file a more detailed form and that costs $55 and just hope you don't have to do that every 5 years- some parents ask about it but a lot of parents are not even aware of it but it is a requirement to be a licensed daycare or to be ECE or to even volunteer at daycares and schools in BC
    I was under the impression that a criminal record check was required for anyone over age 12 in the home?

Expansive...
    YOu could be right Daycaremom9 My kids are over 12 a long time ago LOL
    funny how in BC we don't even have a copy to display to the parents as it stays filed with the police
    so that is different than most part of Canada
    OH well it's all for the good of the children to protect them so I don't mind at all

Outgoing
    Yeah, I never did understand that. In interviews I just tell the parents that the CRC is kept on file at licensing and have my licensing officer's number attached to the form I had sent in.

Have you heard about the new policy that requires anybody living in the home having to bring ID to the licensing office so they can be sure that we are the people applying for the criminal record check?