Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Very...um...thorough ? parents

Thanks for the input, fellow providers. Worried that I put too much identifying information into my post, so I am editing.
    Last edited by Sandbox Sally; 10-02-2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: privacy

Euphoric !
    I've had one family ask for a check and they offered to pay for it. I gladly did it and now have it to show other families so it's a good selling point. My husband works evenings so he watched the kids for me so I didn't have to miss work to do so. He has his through his work and it's available for parents to see as well. He's my backup provider so parents like that.

I personally do think they give a false sense of security since they are only good if the person has been caught doing things they shouldn't but it does give some parents a peace of mind. I'm not insulted by it because ( heaven forbid!) if something bad does happen at daycare at least the parents can say they did everything possible in making sure their provider had a clean record. Could you imagine the guilt (and judgements!) a parent would feel and face if their provider was a bad person AND had a bad record that would have showed up had the parent asked!!

Our job is dealing with children in a private setting where no one knows what we do with the children. Many many of us are perfectly safe and trust worthy but a few are not and I think it's perfectly fine for a parent to ask this of us. They wouldn't be doing their job 100% if they didn't IMO.

Euphoric !
    I have my police check but it was less that that money wise and 8 weeks to receive it in the mail .... I understand that a lot of dcp also have all family members over 16 yrs old that live in the home getting record checks ....I have not made my hubby get one and no family has asked for that ....but really it is kind of a useless piece of paper because all it means is you have not been convicted of something .....but I don't say that to my potential families ....I just smile and say yes here it is .....mine is about 3 yrs old and I should go get an updated one as I am going to have to start interviewing again ....I don't see it as mistrust I see it as parents thinking that are being thorough especially first time parents

My husband (a teacher) and I both have them. We need current ones always on file for working with our church youth, for hosting our exchange students and for any volunteering that we can fit in with our children's school. You can write this cost off. Frankly, I'm surprised that none of my parents have ever requested a copy...that said, I do state in my introductory letter that we have one and for what reasons. For me, if I requested one and my potential provider balked at it, it would be a big red flag. Just my 2 cents.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Expansive...
    With being licensed I had to get a criminal record and child abuse registry check for myself and everyone else living in my home over the age of 16.

I would be concerned about their issue with my husband being around the kids. It is his home and there would be many situations where he may be home when the kids are home - before and after his own work hours, if he stays home sick, etc. I would be telling the family this, if they aren't okay with my husband then it isn't okay with me.

It is 50km round trip for me to drive to the station that processes the reports. It closes at 5:30, which is a few minutes after the time I am typically finished my work day. I would have to take time off, pay gas for 50km, plus pay $55 for myself and $55 for my husband. I think that's a lot to ask, and yeah, I'm balking.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox Sally View Post
    It is 50km round trip for me to drive to the station that processes the reports. It closes at 5:30, which is a few minutes after the time I am typically finished my work day. I would have to take time off, pay gas for 50km, plus pay $55 for myself and $55 for my husband. I think that's a lot to ask, and yeah, I'm balking.
    Totally understand that, I wouldn't be happy to do all that either. But if you do decide to do it then it is all claimable on your taxes.

Ok. I understand what you're saying, but my next year's taxes have no bearing on the money I have this week. Not everyone has an extra hundred laying around. I am going to ask her if she plans on paying for them, and if she doesn't, I will tell her she needs to look elsewhere.

Outgoing
    I totally understand the upfront cost, and the time required to drive there and back would be frustrating. To be honest, I am shocked there is nowhere closer that can handle it. However, if it's going to take another month or more to fill that spot, you're losing more than that in income.
    My issue with this situation is just that she is being weird about your husband being home during daycare.

I don't like it either. It's his home. It's a home based business. I think that it's a given that the people who live in the home will be home sometimes during business hours.