Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    There should be a cheaper police check option...that takes about 8weeks to process. I would find out what it costs in your area then report to this family that you are will to expense the cheaper police check that if they want the more expensive check they will have to pay the extra.

I don't believe you have to be present to drop the forms off. Confirm but I think it's just a paper with your information and your ID on it. You should be able to have your husband drop it off, maybe?

Let the other families know you need to close early to do a police check. Make sure the time you go also inconveniences the new family. I do believe having police checks is just part of this business. I agree they give a false sense of security but they are one of few measures families have to try and ensure their child is safe and we can't blame parents for that.

Also...make sure you give all families enough notice of closing early...so what ever your contract states a week or two's notice. And let the new family know that they will have to wait that long so you can properly book time off.

Hopefully, with all the above the family realizes they might be best to not make you go (they will have to pay some, they have to take time off and it will take many weeks).

The only cheaper option is going through my kids' school, but on the report, I will have to have listed the volunteer duties involved and such. This is what the regional police website says, anyway.

I think my biggest issue with all this is that they have no problem waiting a few weeks for the report. If they are suspicious, or if they have safety concerns, why are they leaving their child with me in the two weeks it will take to return the report?

For the record, I have no criminal history. I have never been arrested let alone convicted of anything. I have never even been inside a police car, and I told her this. I feel like this is a relationship based on trust, and we are getting off to a pretty rocky start.

Outgoing
    This isn't going to be the popular answer but having worked with street children, families in crisis, abused children, I would absolutely insist on a child care provider having BOTH a criminal records check and a child abuse check for everyone in the house.

Their choice if they didn't want to do it but I wouldn't go there with my child knowing and having seen what I have.

Yes, I understand it just means that they haven't been caught but I do feel it's due diligence.

And yes, as an unregistered carer, I do have both, and also have both for my son who is almost 18. Once my younger son has his 16th birthday, his will be performed and available too.

Here, it's a cost of $50.00 each, and it only lasts three months but there is no way I'd do business without them and it's a common expectation here. Like above, it does have to be applied for in person, and the police stations who offer it, are down town not local, and the service is only available from 8am until 4.30pm Monday - Friday. Yes, it means making sure it's done on a day off or authorizing someone else to go in and apply on my behalf (more paperwork) and return a week later to collect the paperwork (even more paperwork).

In the years I've been doing this, I have NEVER had an interview where these weren't expected to be seen.

I feel like this is a relationship based on trust, and we are getting off to a pretty rocky start.
    I know what you mean but I don't see it the same way. In fact I always tell people to trust by verify - ask to see all the certificates of something a carer is claiming to have.

In time, yes, they will trust you. As you prove your standard of care and as they get to know you. But initially, you are a stranger. You might seem lovely, but they don't know you. You might sound like you know what you are doing, and look like you know what you are doing, but so do the biggest scammers and criminals and child abusers. As much as a parent wants to trust you, they have nothing to base that on yet other than your own words and some references from others they don't know either.

It's simply due diligence.

If you were in a traffic accident, would you believe someone's claim they had insurance or want to see it and record the information accurately?

No one trusts fully a random stranger. They want to be able to, they hope in time they will but until a relationship is built over time, they have no reason to trust you.
    Last edited by Rachael; 10-02-2014 at 11:19 AM.

But...they are willing to leave their kid with a potential criminal and/or child abuser for two weeks, and that's a-ok?

Regardless, I know some amazing parents and people who have records. I know some shitty parents and abusive people who have squeaky clean reports. Shrug. It means nothing. But that's really not the point of my post...lol

Possibly off topic, but do any of you ask for references from the parents? I have never, but I've had prospective clients offer. I am really wondering about the real reason behind their dismissal from the other daycare.

In over 4 years of doing childcare, I've only ever had one parent ask for it. She also wanted to see in every room, closet, drawer and cupboards...then asked for a tour of upstairs too! It was awkward, I wasn't sure if it was still an interview or if she wanted to buy my house? I even asked my man if he had a crazy ex named ______! lol
    I have wondered the same about asking references from the parents too, since I give them my references. It would be nice to know why they want to jump ship in their current dcp!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox Sally View Post
    It is 50km round trip for me to drive to the station that processes the reports. It closes at 5:30, which is a few minutes after the time I am typically finished my work day. I would have to take time off, pay gas for 50km, plus pay $55 for myself and $55 for my husband. I think that's a lot to ask, and yeah, I'm balking.
    Oh boy, that IS quite a chore for you and understandable. This is the first I've hearing of a Child Abuse Check; what is it?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Hey Sandbox fancy meeting you, its been forever!!! I can't see your post... but Rachel, we will have to agree to disagree here.

My husband holds a job with a crown corp, and if he were a criminal he would not have a job... I agree with some of the other posters here when they say, it is just a piece of paper. The truth is parents can do their due diligence in other ways.

1. Ask your provider about the kid's day
    2. See how your child feels about going there, are they excited, happy, (depends on the kid I know, but if I see issues with mood, I say something right away)
    3. If there is an open door policy, check on your child, go on outings with the provider and the group if you can...I welcome that actually.

I wasted my time once with a hyper vigilant mom who wanted everything, and she ended up going to a centre later on, because she wanted a bigger group...To play devils advocate do you ask centers to present CPIC's and sector checks for all who work there??

If I am some criminal my own child would not be living here...

Outgoing
    Possibly off topic, but do any of you ask for references from the parents?
    This is common practice in the UK where in-home day cares placements are very hard to find. I have done it only once here, when someone had a 15-month old and had already been through 2 carer's in 3 months! The parents claimed certain reasons and as I happened to know the carer's (although the parents didn't realize this), I did get both sides of the story.

[QUOTE=Gypsy Mama;69456She also wanted to see in every room, closet, drawer and cupboards...then asked for a tour of upstairs too! [/QUOTE] That is also common place in NS.

Here, parents expect to see police checks for every adult in the house, criminal records check, certificate of insurance (although I black out my premiums), certificate for infant CPR and first aid. They expect to see every single room their child will be in, including kitchen, dining room, sleeping rooms, washrooms, yard, etc.

I consider any interview two way. If someone is leaving a current carer who is local, I have no issue in asking why they are looking for a new carer. Just as they are checking my suitability, I am checking theirs. After all, they are coming into my home, having contact with my children and my client's children and they are foolish, if they are presuming the vacancies is theirs just because they determine they want to come. I turn away maybe 70% of people who say they want a place and I choose based on my own preferences.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

when parents leave I ask for 2 letters. one saying why it is that they are leaving, and another as a written reference. it saves having 20 potential parents call my references. then if i have a family that wants the spot then i will give them the numbers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post: