Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

What Would You Do ?

Hoping for some advice from you ladies - please no haters - I'm genuinely not sure what to do, and I would appreciate some feedback from other caregivers. I currently care for 5 little ones. One of my little ones will be leaving my care in March to join her Mum on mat leave. Instead of keeping them until the very end (when Mum has her new babe) I would like to let this family go at the end of January - when my new family needs their care to begin. In the past I have always taken the "hit" and just accepted the loss in income when I was between families. I really don't want to do that any more. This past year has been a tough one. I had one family leave on very short notice due to a job loss. In addition to losing the one child, I also "lost" the sibling who was scheduled to start up here in the Spring. While I found replacement families there was a "gap" of almost four months where I had fewer kids than I need to make things economically viable. Icing the cupcake, one of my current families is paying reduced dues for the next few months until his Mum returns to work. (babe #2 is scheduled to start up here) Translation: I don't have any more wiggle room in my budget. How horrible a person would I be if I gave my soon to be leaving family their notice in January ? I would connect them with other caregivers in my area who have space in their programs, and I don't need them as a reference. I don't bear them any ill will, but I really don't want my bottom line eroded any further.

Outgoing
    I don't think that's horrible at all. Been there and it sucks when we always take the loss.

Ideally, if your relationship with this client is good enough, I would talk to them and explain what I wanted to do and why. This isn't a high income business by any means and being able to replace them in Jan would be better for you.

If need be, I too would give them notice for when it suits me. Not everything has to be done on when it suits the client and in this situation, it's a big hit you would take.

One word of warning...since you are thinking of letting them go January, I imagine you have to give a certain amount of notice. If you think speaking to this client might risk them pulling sooner, i.e. over the Christmas break, then you have to decide if speaking to them is worth the risk or if just giving notice on your own schedule is better.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Hmm, that is a really tough one.

I would explain the situation to both families and see if one could change their end/start dates. Maybe one of them has family or friends that could care for their child for the 2 months?

I don't think I would terminate care though. For me, it is not professional. It might not be the best financial decision but professionally I wouldn't feel right about it. However, I do know what it's like to have make decisions based on finances so you need to decide what is best for you. Good luck!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your feedback. Like I said, I'm really not an awful person - I just can't continue taking the hit all the time - this is a job, not a hobby. I have bills too. =( I would let my the family know at the beginning of January (1 month notice) and like I said, I would make sure to connect them with a few good caregivers in our area. I hope they understand - and if they don't, well - like I said - I have to pay my bills.

Euphoric !
    I would only do it if I knew I had lined up several prospects for them as in I knew they would not be left stranded. If mom has made it clear child is being pulled - assume being done to save them money it makes sense that you would not want to be the one missing out on income. is the new family that needs care a family already in care bringing a sibling or just a new family you have interviewed. The fact you know when the space will open you really should be advertising to fill the space for March.

Euphoric !
    I don't think you're a horrible person for the record!! I totally understand why you feel the need to terminate them.

I just would feel awful if they couldn't find care. I know for myself I wouldn't take on a family that was going to leave in 2 months for mat leave. I completely understand having bills to pay but I tend to think about things long term and I would wonder if it would hurt me in the long run. I wouldn't want future clients worried that I would term them when it was ideal for me.

It's a tricky situation and I truly don't know what I would actually do if I was in your shoes. I knew getting into this job that it would be stressful with inconsistent income but it was a chance I took. I truly know the stress of not knowing when a spot will fill so I really do feel for you! Only you can make the decision that you feel is best for you and your business!

edited....wow it's been a long day, I completely forgot that I have been in this situation kinda LOL. I had a mom leave on mat leave at end of July and I had filled it with a client a few months prior. The new client ended up having to go back to work the start of July but I told her that I could only do some days when I wasn't over my numbers. He came for two weeks when another child was on holidays and the other 2 weeks he came a couple times and other family watched him when I couldn't and than he started full time after the mat leave mom left. I was just lucky that this mom had good back up care.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 10-03-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Euphoric !
    For me personally I would NEVER get rid of one family to accommodate a new family. I would talk to both families though and see if they could change their dates and hopefully you could get it all worked out. The thing is the second family is never a guarantee, chances are the family you already have is for those 2 months. What happens if the new family doesn't work out, doesn't transition good, etc and they end up leaving in 2 months as well, you are right back to square one. Nothing is a guarantee in our line of work but I would tend to stick with the family you already have as I think terminating just because they are leaving is not very professional.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

i have to say i think it would be unfair for the child who would be leaving in March to have to transition to a new provider for 2 months then have her life turned upside down when mommy brings home a new baby. I personally would try everything I could to keep the current family until March. I am sure there will be more families who need care with a March start date.
    Sorry i hope i don't sound like a hater just thinking of the best interest of the child.

Okay rethinking... yeah you might not know what you're getting with the new family. I'd keep the originals.

Is it possible to take the 2nd family on January & still keeping the 1st family till March since private dayhome can accommodate up to 9 kids including your own children.