Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenwatersDaughter View Post
    I think that would show favouritism, and I need to treat all parents -- and children -- the same, whether they are difficult to work with or not. Just my opinion!
    I disagree. The world is gone wonky lately because of this misbelief. Not everyone needs to be treated the same. YES everyone needs to be respected, treated nicely and fairly...but fairness IS NOT sameness.

This is why children in schools today are not doing nearly as well as generations past. I've taught K-6. It annoys the hell out of me when teachers feel that every student needs to get everything the same. Giving all children a sticker on their spelling test is dumb. Why does every student get one whether they got 5/5 or 0/5? It's a waste of stickers and it means absolutely nothing to the students.

If we rewards people who go above and beyond the bare minimums in life they we encourage everyone to strive to go above and beyond. If the slackers get the me rewards as those that do that do strive to work harder then why would the slackers improve and why would those that excel continue to strive to excel?

We need to be respectful, polite, nice and all that to every human being but we can certainly go beyond that to reward those that go the extra mile. I think society benefits. The workplace certainly does this...the harder you work the bigger your bonus. The harder you work the more promotions you get. Why can't we teach children this at a young age? They will go farther in life if they learn they have to work harder to receive the added perks of being a hard worker, for striving to be their best, for going the extra mile.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    They just took it as they were leaving. One of the moms took a picture of her hot chocolate, jar of apple butter and muffin and posted on Facebook about how much she loves my dayhome. This is a word of mouth business after all and while good press isn't why I did it, it sure helps!
    It definitely helps!! I don't know about you but where I live, hdc's are everywhere!! Anything that helps set you apart is a good thing!

Starting to feel at home...
    I've been in childcare for six years -- as a nanny, a child care assistant at a day care and a day home provider. I'm not in a honeymoon phase. I just like to spread a little sunshine... am actually shocked at how many of you seem to be so bitter about our jobs! Are there parents that are a struggle? Yes. But my child care coordinator gave me great advice: deal with the issue and move on. If you have a parent who is repeatedly violating your wishes over and over -- that's kind of on you. You need to deal with it and make it stop. I'm a glass half full gal and I like to make people happy... it makes me happy too

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SevenwatersDaughter For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think it's a nice idea. My clients often get muffins, toast, or if in the afternoon, a sample of what I've made for dinner if something new or particularly fabulous. We often have coffee/tea together. If it's the end of the day or a Friday, we might...once in a while...have a glass of wine. If one of the kids ate well at lunch, I'll often send the leftovers home. When we made apple sauce from our apple tree, we sent some home with those who wanted a little. They love the personal touch and know they're appreciated every day Yours is a great idea Sevenwatersdaughter! And as 5LittleMonkeys pointed out, if your area is saturated with home daycares, anything that sets you apart is a good thing. I've done this by treating my clients not just as clients, but as friends and let them know that our relationship is part of my success. We have parent dinners out..our last was 2 weeks ago at a local restaurant and was a great time for all of us. I develop the relationships between the families as well. Some lovely friendships have begun because of it. You do what you do and enjoy it!!! I think we're very much on the same page SWD!
    Last edited by cfred; 10-06-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Expansive...
    I've been in childcare for six years -- as a nanny, a child care assistant at a day care and a day home provider. I'm not in a honeymoon phase. I just like to spread a little sunshine... am actually shocked at how many of you seem to be so bitter about our jobs! Are there parents that are a struggle? Yes. But my child care coordinator gave me great advice: deal with the issue and move on. If you have a parent who is repeatedly violating your wishes over and over -- that's kind of on you. You need to deal with it and make it stop. I'm a glass half full gal and I like to make people happy... it makes me happy too
    If you knew me in real life you would find I am very friendly, personable and my daycare families really love my program and show me a great deal of respect. When I have a parental issue I deal with it and move on. But I also really dislike it when someone makes judgments about people they don't know, without knowing where they come from and what they deal with on a daily basis. So when I see that I feel compelled to stand up for them, as I did for Brightsparks. I don't know if you are including me in the "bitter about our jobs" group, but I for sure am not. But I also don't feel that people should be praised and rewarded if they are undeserving.

I know you did not start this thread expecting it to go is way, and I am glad you are excited about it. As I had said, I think it is a nice once and awhile idea when you feel inspired to do so.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Do you like doing childcare? Just curious lol. I think everyone likes to feel appreciated -- I'm sorry you seem to have had such bad experiences with parents -- for me, most of my experiences have been excellent. And treating people nicely shouldn't be conditional -- for me, I wanted to treat them and let them know that I appreciate their business -- they could go elsewhere, after all! I put 110% of my energy into my program, but I also like to go an extra mile -- and really, a treat once a month for the parents will go a long way to foster respect and appreciation, IMHO.
    I go above and beyond for my daycare families on a regular basis, I don't need to dedicate a day every month to them because I regularly thank them and show gestures to offer validation and appreciation. I absolutely love providing care, but I am also a realist and while what you did for them is really nice, you did catch that in my original post I hope, I also know from my years of experience and the constant posts on here from providers feeling upset and resentful that they go unthanked for going above and beyond, that this for many wouldn't be something that at least some providers would see as being warranted or necessairy. Monthly I visit a farm to collect my organic meat, eggs and grain order, on my time, and every time I place my order I ask all families if they would like anything and I drive an hour to collect it without a thought to ask them for money or that maybe they would like to take it turns to drive the 80km round trip......that is an extra and a kind and thoughtful gesture that I offer my daycare families. If I am out and about doing anything and I see something that I think would be of interest to someone, I text or call them to see if they want me to pick it up for them...I do this particular thing all the time. Saturday for example I was at a health food store that had reasonably priced wild and sustainable frozen seafood and immediately thought of a parent who I had had a conversation about this very thing a few weeks ago. So please don't misunderstand my tone in my original response, or misinterpret it as not caring about my families, I have just learnt through much experience that these things start to be taken for granted, and add to my already busy workload of having 2 jobs, 2 of my own kids and 4 daycare kids. More power to those who choose to do what you do but for me I would much prefer to reward people authentically and originally for a specific action with a thank you versus everyone in general when many of those parents I have dealt with in my career while are deserving of the same level of respect and compassion as every other family I welcome into my home, I am not going to appreciate them if they are not worth appreciating beyond the confines of my job. Just my personal boundaries, and how I like to practice. Just like those provides who believe that a Xmas party is beyond the requirements of their job so be it, where as I rent the early years centre exclusively, put on a massive spread for the families and lots of activities for all the children and their families. I go above and beyond because I want to and I get great satisfaction out of making my daycare families happy, but for me Parent appreciation day isn't something that I think for me is worth doing on a regular basis just because.

I can only speak for myself but I didn't imply that I was bitter in my job, just that I don't think poor behaviour on any level, with respect to any situation should be rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    I think it's a nice idea. My clients often get muffins, toast, or if in the afternoon, a sample of what I've made for dinner if something new or particularly fabulous. We often have coffee/tea together. If it's the end of the day or a Friday, we might...once in a while...have a glass of wine. If one of the kids ate well at lunch, I'll often send the leftovers home. When we made apple sauce from our apple tree, we sent some home with those who wanted a little. They love the personal touch and know they're appreciated every day Yours is a great idea Sevenwatersdaughter! And as 5LittleMonkeys pointed out, if your area is saturated with home daycares, anything that sets you apart is a good thing. I've done this by treating my clients not just as clients, but as friends and let them know that our relationship is part of my success. We have parent dinners out..our last was 2 weeks ago at a local restaurant and was a great time for all of us. I develop the relationships between the families as well. Some lovely friendships have begun because of it. You do what you do and enjoy it!!! I think we're very much on the same page SWD!
    I love this! If I had to put my daughter in a day care I would want it to be one like yours! Rock on mama!

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    I go above and beyond for my daycare families on a regular basis, I don't need to dedicate a day every month to them because I regularly thank them and show gestures to offer validation and appreciation. I absolutely love providing care, but I am also a realist and while what you did for them is really nice, you did catch that in my original post I hope, I also know from my years of experience and the constant posts on here from providers feeling upset and resentful that they go unthanked for going above and beyond, that this for many wouldn't be something that at least some providers would see as being warranted or necessairy. Monthly I visit a farm to collect my organic meat, eggs and grain order, on my time, and every time I place my order I ask all families if they would like anything and I drive an hour to collect it without a thought to ask them for money or that maybe they would like to take it turns to drive the 80km round trip......that is an extra and a kind and thoughtful gesture that I offer my daycare families. If I am out and about doing anything and I see something that I think would be of interest to someone, I text or call them to see if they want me to pick it up for them...I do this particular thing all the time. Saturday for example I was at a health food store that had reasonably priced wild and sustainable frozen seafood and immediately thought of a parent who I had had a conversation about this very thing a few weeks ago. So please don't misunderstand my tone in my original response, or misinterpret it as not caring about my families, I have just learnt through much experience that these things start to be taken for granted, and add to my already busy workload of having 2 jobs, 2 of my own kids and 4 daycare kids. More power to those who choose to do what you do but for me I would much prefer to reward people authentically and originally for a specific action with a thank you versus everyone in general when many of those parents I have dealt with in my career while are deserving of the same level of respect and compassion as every other family I welcome into my home, I am not going to appreciate them if they are not worth appreciating beyond the confines of my job. Just my personal boundaries, and how I like to practice. Just like those provides who believe that a Xmas party is beyond the requirements of their job so be it, where as I rent the early years centre exclusively, put on a massive spread for the families and lots of activities for all the children and their families. I go above and beyond because I want to and I get great satisfaction out of making my daycare families happy, but for me Parent appreciation day isn't something that I think for me is worth doing on a regular basis just because.
    There is nothing whatsoever "unauthentic" in what I do, just because it happens once every month as a regular thing. My husband and I go on regular date nights -- doesn't make our time together "unauthentic".

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    I think it's a nice idea. My clients often get muffins, toast, or if in the afternoon, a sample of what I've made for dinner if something new or particularly fabulous. We often have coffee/tea together. If it's the end of the day or a Friday, we might...once in a while...have a glass of wine.
    I was thinking about you last friday actually! All the mom's picked up within minutes of each other, and they had all had a frustrating day with their class. And I had a frustrating day with my daughter. I made a joke about making Friday afternoon "wine time" and we all laughed. I'm starting to think it wouldn't be such a bad idea.