Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Also in MB and to add to Amanda's post....private can have 4 max but no more than 2 under 2 years of age.

I have spoke with head office and asked if my husband were to stay home and parent our own child ( I have no children of my own currently) if I would still be allowed to have my full 4 and the answer was no. I think it's ridiculous but not much I can do! I do encourage parents in mb to email and ask for a change to our laws though as the lady I spoke too said that's all we can do at this point.
    Pretty sure that is because they want people to get licensed, so the ratio for unlicensed is low. That is why I got licensed, there is no way I could have made any sort of living only taking 2 daycare children on top of my own 2 daughters.

Saw in the news last year of an unlicensed Manitoba provider that had one or two other adults working with her in her home and she had like 12 kids. She got shut down because the only way you can do that is if you are licensed as a group home daycare.

But really, it is an involved processed to get licensed but once you have it then it isn't hard to maintain at all. It also makes it easier to fill your spots, parents like the idea of a home daycare being licensed.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    But really, it is an involved processed to get licensed but once you have it then it isn't hard to maintain at all. It also makes it easier to fill your spots, parents like the idea of a home daycare being licensed.
    I agree with you completely. It wasn't worth it to only have two kids plus my two. I don't find it that difficult to maintain everything that goes along with being licensed. I have talked to a few different people though, and it seems the right or wrong coordinator makes all the difference.

Euphoric !
    Yes for sure that is the reason. However, I have worked in licensed centre's and know firsthand that licensing isn't all it's cracked up to be. I am perfectly content being private and make an okay living doing so, so for now I will remain private. For myself, I have no interest in taking school aged children so for me, becoming licensed would only allow me one more child. I likely wouldn't take the grants and would still charge the rate I do now. I know typically parents choose licensed due to subsidy but because I wouldn't be offering that I would loose out on those parents anyways. If we decide to have a child or move to a bigger home than I will look at licensing again but I think staying private is what I will choose anyways.

The only times I have found being private has hurt me is when parents are wanting/needing subsidy.

Group home daycare is a cool thing but the reason I do this is to stay home so I would want it in my home and to do that I need a bigger house lol.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Yes for sure that is the reason. However, I have worked in licensed centre's and know firsthand that licensing isn't all it's cracked up to be. I am perfectly content being private and make an okay living doing so, so for now I will remain private. For myself, I have no interest in taking school aged children so for me, becoming licensed would only allow me one more child. I likely wouldn't take the grants and would still charge the rate I do now. I know typically parents choose licensed due to subsidy but because I wouldn't be offering that I would loose out on those parents anyways. If we decide to have a child or move to a bigger home than I will look at licensing again but I think staying private is what I will choose anyways.

The only times I have found being private has hurt me is when parents are wanting/needing subsidy.

Group home daycare is a cool thing but the reason I do this is to stay home so I would want it in my home and to do that I need a bigger house lol.
    With accepting subsidy you don't necessarily have all subsidized families, I don't have any right now (just by coincidence). But it can end up being easier financially for all the parents, not just the subsidized ones. I get grant money for every licensed spot I have, making it possible for ALL my families to pay lower rates.

I think being licensed becomes really beneficial once your own children are school age. It allows me to have more children than I would be allowed if unlicensed, and since I have to deal with school buses and such no matter what (since they are my own kids) it makes it a win, win situation. Now that my older daughter is in school she fills one of my school age spots, leaving one of my preschool spots available to be filled with a daycare child.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    I agree with you completely. It wasn't worth it to only have two kids plus my two. I don't find it that difficult to maintain everything that goes along with being licensed. I have talked to a few different people though, and it seems the right or wrong coordinator makes all the difference.
    My coordinator has been really good, she will help me with whatever I need and it has always been a positive relationship.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    My coordinator has been really good, she will help me with whatever I need and it has always been a positive relationship.
    Yes, I meant to add that to my original post and forgot. I actually really like my coordinator. I feel she's very supportive, and I'm comfortable asking her anything (daycare related, lol). I've also asked her to come give me her opinion on some behaviours displayed by one of the dck's. I feel like I really got lucky with mine. I actually look forward to the surprise visits rather than get nervous about them.
    Once again, I couldn't agree more about how useful it is that I don't have to count my 5 year old as a preschool spot, since she's away in grade 1 most of my daycare day.

Starting to feel at home...
    British Columbia
    Below is for home care only. There are additional regulations for group child care.

- No License: 2 children or sibling group in addition to your own children.

- License Care: 7 children inc. your own under the age of 12. No more than: 3 children younger than 48 months old and , of those 3, no more than one child younger than 12 months old or 4 children younger than 48 months old and, of those 4, no more than 2 children younger than 24 months old

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SillyGirl_C For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Alberta is up to six NOT including your own . The example they give is a provider who has 3 children can have 6 dayhome children , total amount 9 .

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    It's so crazy and interesting to me to read the differences!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    yes I agree 5
    it is so different every where.
    very interesting - I am glad Rachael set this up.Thanks for all the info everyone