Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Another question for people to answer please is the definition of school age. The problem we are having here in Ontario with the rule changes is that children enter care at age 1 because of year long maternity leave and start school at 3 3/4 (ie if a child turns 4 before the end of December they can start school that September so youngest would be 4 months shy of turning 4 when starting school). That is only a 2-3 year window for children needing full time care. The schools also offer a large amount of before and after care for school age children. The more you restrict the available pool of children the harder it is to maintain career status in childcare.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Van

Outgoing
    In NS, they go to school the year they have their 5th birthday.

Years ago, they had to be 5 years old before 1st October that year to begin school in the September (my son had to wait a full year because his birthday is 21st October, even though he'd been in mainstream school in England since he was 3.5!).

Now as long as they have their 5th birthday by 31st December, they go to school in September.

i.e. Born 01-Jan-2009 to 31-Dec-2009 then they would have gone to Primary in September 2014.

On the other end of the spectrum, children here are not meant to be left unsupervised until they are 12 years old.
    Last edited by Rachael; 11-11-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Expansive...
    Thanks Playfelt that is very interesting but it must be hard for child care providers in Ontario
    I can see the problems that you are now facing over there - So sorry for you all

Expansive...
    BC is the same as NS, The children go to school when they are 5 years and have to be supervised till they are 12 years old-and the schools do not provide hot lunches over here, the children bring their own lunch

Outgoing
    In mb, school age is 5 if they're in full day kinder, if they are in half day kinder then school age is as soon as they "graduate" from kinder, or turn 6.
    We have similar laws about under 2. It's two under two if you're private. You can have 3 under 2 if you're licensed. Currently, I have two 1 year olds and 3 2 year olds. And on in service days, I have my oldest daughter (5) and another school age child.

What everyone should brace for is that if this does pass in Ontario, the goal is to have all of Canada using the same numbers by 2017 I think. I was speaking with a gentleman at the remembrance day ceremony yesterday, and he said that is the governments long term plan.

Outgoing
    I can't see it happening in Manitoba, but I could be wrong. I doubt they'll increase the number of children in a private daycare. They would be losing one of the main incentives to get licensed.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by 33 Daiseys View Post
    What everyone should brace for is that if this does pass in Ontario, the goal is to have all of Canada using the same numbers by 2017 I think. I was speaking with a gentleman at the remembrance day ceremony yesterday, and he said that is the governments long term plan.
    If you look at the prior posts, many of us are already restricted to the same numbers now and some of the Maritime provinces have even lower limits.

I do understand it's a big change for you in Ontario but considering your day care fees are a massive $10-$15 more per child per day anyway and you don't have the limits we do, of course other Provinces aren't so upset about Bill 10. Not being rude but it would bring you into line with the rest of us who've had these limits for many, many years.

If they were truly bringing all Provinces into line with each other, Bill 10 will come in and some of us will then get an increase in numbers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Childcare is provincial so Bill 10 applies only to Ontario. I guess what I wonder is why there are restrictions anywhere. They are based on antiquated rules and with the surge in artificial fertility and the birth of multiples it is shown over and over that a mom can handle more than one infant. It is time for the rules to be re-evaluated everywhere. Ontario is a good example where they have had two different sets of rules - opposite to most provinces in that those with the most oversight from an agency can have the least number of kids which makes no sense. But the DNA came out in 1946 and was retooled in the 80's with the rules we have now. The homes where a problem occurred were not following the rules as set out anyways so it isn't about the rules themselves that is the issue. Why change what works when the science behind the why is sketchy at best.

Euphoric !
    Rachel, I see what you are saying...Ontario seems to have had less restrictions than most other provinces. BUT, there is one key difference, as Playfelt mentioned...full day kindergarten starts for kids aged 3.5 - 4 years old. We only have ages 1-3 in terms of full-time care. There is no half day kindergarten even. And school aged care here pays so little, it is hardly worth the trouble. So how can we fill our daycares if we are restricted to only 2 under 2 and the rest basically have to be between 2 and 3 and then they are off to shool (and all schools have to provide before and after care, so there is no shortage there).

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post: